The voluntary unpaid time-off program allows eligible full-time staff and faculty to request authorized voluntary unpaid time away from work, without pay, but with benefits. The employee agrees not to perform any type of work related to DePaul during this time period.
Full-time staff and faculty. The program may not be appropriate to all areas of the university; management will work with each employee to determine impact on the services provided in that area. Graduate assistants, student workers, part-time employees, certain externally funded employees, and trades/union employees are not eligible to participate in the program.
Maximum Number of Days Allowed:
1 day to a maximum of 15 days per calendar year may be requested in whole day increments.
Voluntary Unpaid Time-Off Request Form
- Eligible employee requests voluntary unpaid time-off by submitting the Voluntary Unpaid Time-Off Request form to the manager at least two weeks prior to the commencement of the unpaid time-off.
- Manager reviews employee’s eligibility, assesses the feasibility of granting the voluntary unpaid time-off, and provides approval or denial by completing the manager’s portion of the Voluntary Unpaid Time-Off Request form.
- Manager provides copy of completed form to the employee.
- Manager submits completed form to HR Benefits for processing at least one week prior to the commencement of the unpaid time-off.
- HR Benefits sends e-mail to employee that identifies any impact to benefits premium and confirmation of time-off approval to the employee. Depending on continuous number of unpaid time-off days requested, an employee may be required to make benefit premium payments prior to commencement of the time off. HR Benefits will contact the employee to discuss.
- HR Benefits receives the completed form and coordinates with Payroll.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a faculty member participate in the voluntary unpaid time-off program?
A faculty member may participate in the voluntary unpaid time-off program. However the faculty member must review and obtain approval for day(s) off with the Department Chair and the Dean to ensure the education of our students is not adversely affected. For further information on how a full time faculty member might participate in the Voluntary Unpaid Time Off program, please contact Alyssa Kupka, Sr. Associate Vice President, Academic Fiscal Administration.
How do I record a voluntary unpaid time-off day?
Non-exempt employees will record hours associated with voluntary unpaid time-off days on the weekly timesheet in the Time & Labor system.
Exempt employees will have their pay reduced in the week/month in which the voluntary unpaid time-off has been taken, as the number of pre-approved days listed on the employee’s Voluntary Unpaid Time-Off Request form.