Full-time staff and faculty who have completed one (1) year of service (consecutively or nonconsecutively) and have worked a minimum of 1,250 hours during the 12 months immediately preceding the date of leave would begin.
Eligible employees receive a maximum of two(2) weeks per twelve (12) month of paid parental leave for the birth, adoption, or placement of a foster child/children, occurring on or after November 1, 2017. Each week of paid parental leave is compensated at one-hundred (100) percent of regular, straight time weekly pay. Paid parental leave will be paid on a bi-weekly basis on regularly scheduled pay dates.
Approved paid parental leave may be taken at any time during the twelve (12) month period immediately following the birth, adoption or placement of a foster child with the employee and must be taken as one continuous period of leave. See the policy
Coordination with FMLA
Paid parental leave will run concurrently with leave under FMLA. Eligible employees must apply for FMLA leave. The total amount of leave under the FMLA policy and the parental leave policy whether paid or unpaid, will not exceed the twelve (12) weeks of leave under FMLA. See the policy for additional information.
Requesting a Parental Leave
- Contact your manager to inform him or her of your need for a leave of absence at least thirty (30) days in advance (or as soon as possible when the leave was not forseeable)
- Contact Liberty Mutual (DePaul’s leave of absence administrator) to apply for FMLA Leave. You may contact Liberty Mutual at 1-888-685-1372 or through the Liberty Mutual portal (Go to Campus Connection> Self Service> Benefits > Liberty Mutual)
- Complete the Floating Holiday/Vacation/Parental Leave and Benefits Premium Payment Election Form you receive from Liberty Mutual after applying for FMLA leave. Return the completed form to email@example.com.
- The approval of your parental leave is based upon approval of your FMLA leave by Liberty Mutual. The Human Resources Department will administer all approved parental leave.
- For birth mothers, see the maternity leave page for additional leave provisions.