Human Resources > Performance >
Core behaviors for all employees
Collaborates and Contributes to Team Work
- Builds and maintains constructive work relationships that contribute to an environment of trust, respect and mutual accountability.
- Reduces barriers to cooperation and collaboration through effective project management and ongoing communication.
- Motivates and assists team members to achieve individual and shared goals. Celebrates and acknowledges accomplishments.
Responsive to Change
- Adapts to changing situations by restructuring tasks and priorities as change occurs. Accepts and acquires new skills as required.
- Reflects on and questions own assumptions based on new knowledge or experience. Willing to experiment with new ideas and processes.
- Uses change as an opportunity to improve work product, services and programs. Actively identifies opportunities for change and process improvements.
Fosters Diversity and Inclusion
- Fosters a climate of diversity and inclusion that values and celebrates differences. Treats all colleagues, students and community members respectfully, fairly and equitably.
- Welcomes others with different perspectives and experiences.
- Commits to continuous learning and growth in diversity, inclusion and cultural competence. Demonstrates and applies best practices in diversity and inclusion: adaptability, flexibility, negotiating ambiguity and cultural differences.
Encourages Open Communication and Cooperation
- Practices and encourages open dialogue about information that affects their work and the work of the unit, college and university. Facilitates and/or contributes to meetings that accomplish established objectives.
- Expresses oneself effectively in all written and verbal communications. Continuously improves interpersonal skills.
- Addresses and resolves workplace issues and conflicts through productive dialogue characterized by openness, trust and collaboration.
Fosters Continuous Performance Improvement
- Monitors own performance and actively seeks performance feedback. Seeks opportunities to acquire knowledge, skills and experiences to improve job performance and achieve personal and professional goals.
- Understands link between goals, planning and performance. Is results-oriented and resourceful. Provides outstanding stakeholder and/or student service.
- Identifies root causes of problems and takes appropriate action. Anticipates obstacles and removes barriers in order to achieve goals.
Core behaviors for managers
- Effectively communicates the university's vision, purpose and direction. Models DePaul's mission and values in words and action.
- Motivates, inspires, and builds high performing teams. Identifies key stakeholders, coordinates people and resources and effectively communicates to achieve project objectives within timeline and budget.
- Understands and embraces change. Able to manage and lead others through complexity, ambiguity, and uncertainty.
Stewards Organizational Resources
- Ensures unit reflects a commitment to good stewardship in their use of time, money and natural resources.
- Maintains compliance with university codes of conduct and policies.
- Develops goals and initiatives aligned to DePaul's mission, vision, and priorities.
- Considers impact of decisions upon the entire DePaul community beyond the scope of personal or functional responsibilities.
- Maintains long-term focus; helps others see beyond the present. Anticipates future trends and imagines new ways to add value.
Hires and Develops Diverse Talent
- Recruits, develops, and retains a highly qualified and diverse staff.
- Aligns individual and team goals with our strategic plan. Clearly communicates performance standards and regularly provides balanced performance feedback.
- Creates an inclusive and engaging work environment in which every team member feels supported in their professional growth. Actively listens, coaches, and engages employees in developmental conversations.
- Recognizes and rewards accomplishments. Manages behavior and performance gaps effectively.
Core Behaviors for Executives
Managing Mission and Vision
- Inspires and motivates entire organization around a shared mission.
- Communicates a compelling and inspired vision and sense of core purpose.
- Creates mileposts and symbols to encourage employee engagement and institutional affinity.
- Willing to make tradeoffs to achieve University wide objectives.
- Considers implications of decisions on the University, beyond his or her own area of responsibility.
- Translates University wide strategies and goals into meaning for particular functions or units.
Managing Diverse and Effective Teams
- Actively ensures equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all.
- Creates collaborative teams that represent the strengths of a diverse community.
- Fosters open dialogue and accountability between team members.
- Anticipates future consequences and trends accurately and articulately presents credible possibilities.
- Has broad industry knowledge and perspective.
- Creates competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Remains calm under pressure, expresses emotions appropriately.
- Genuinely cares about others and dedicated to servant leadership.
- Able to effectively navigate interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.
- Recognizes opportunity in conflicts and challenges, takes unpopular stands if necessary.
- Maneuvers through complex political situations effectively and settles disputes equitably; leads through crises.
- Encourages direct and tough debate but moves forward when needed.
- Effectively builds and manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes.
- Understands how decisions relate to different stakeholders and engages constructively to mitigate risk and maximize opportunity.
- Knows how to use alliances to achieve mutual goals.
- Sensitive to how people and organizations function; plans accordingly.
- Able to explain issues in ways that build understanding.
- Effectively creates alignment among stakeholders.
- Creates excitement about the potential for new ideas/approaches.
- Quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside.
- Can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal.
- Eliminates roadblocks, creates focus.