Division of Student Affairs > Support Services > For Specific Populations > Veteran Services > Military Veteran Benefits

Military Veteran Benefits

DePaul is honored to serve veterans and active-duty members of the United States military. Explore your options to help fund your education through:
  • Veterans Affairs Educational Benefit Programs for veterans, eligible active-duty members and eligible dependents
  • Department of Defense Tuition Assistance for active-duty service members

Veteran Educational Benefits (VA)

If you are a veteran of U.S. military service, an eligible active-duty member of the military or an eligible dependent (see below), you may be eligible for Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits, including the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon Program. 

If you are not sure for which educational benefits you qualify, contact the Veterans Affairs regional office in St. Louis at (888) 442-4551. Follow the telephone prompts, and you will be connected with a counselor. You also may request information through the Veterans Affairs website.

Note: The Illinois Veteran's Grant (IVG) is not available for students at DePaul. The IVG is only available to students attending Illinois public universities. 

To use any VA benefit program you must first complete the VA's application for benefits, which can be found on the Veterans Affairs website. Once you have completed your Veterans Affairs educational benefit application forms, Veterans Affairs will send you a Certificate of Eligibility for your Veterans Affairs educational program. You should submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and a copy of your DD214 along with our Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits Form to DePaul's Office of Veteran's Affairs.

More information

All documents must be submitted in person when the office is open or uploaded to DePaul’s secure upload server.

  • Certificate of Eligibility. Apply for Veterans Educational Benefits as soon as possible through the VA website. This will provide you with your Certificate of Eligibility.  If you have previously used VA Educational Benefits at another school or institution, you must also request a change to your benefits in order for DePaul University to submit documents on your behalf.  You may either scan in or upload a high quality image of the first page of the Certificate of Eligibility to our secure upload server.  If you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch 33), you may instead upload your Statement of Benefits.
  • DD-214. Submit your DD-214 to the DePaul Veteran Affairs office. You can do this by using our Secure Upload Server. If you do not yet have your DD-214, you may do so after you have ended your time in service.  If you are a dependent using your active duty sponsor’s benefits, simply annotate that on the DePaul Veteran Benefits form.  You may either scan in or upload a high quality image of your entire (nonredacted) DD-214 to our secure upload server.  You may also upload a digital copy of your DD-214 from the VA’s website.
  • DePaul Veteran Benefits Form. Submit your Veteran Educational Benefits Form to our office using our Secure Upload Server.  This can be completed digitally. 


Many commonly asked application questions are addressed on our 2019-2020 DePaul FAQ on the GI Bill®. Also, please review our Important Information for Students Using Veterans Benefits FAQ. If you have general questions about VA Educational Benefits at DePaul, please contact Megan Giedraitis at (312) 362-8092.

Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA)

DePaul will work with you to utilize your benefits to pursue your educational goals, as well as work with students who transition from TA to GI Bill® education benefits. The following branches of the military offer tuition assistance to active-duty members:

  • Air Force
  • Air Force Reserve
  • Air National Guard
  • Army
  • Army National Guard
  • Army Reserve
  • Coast Guard
  • Coast Guard Reserve
  • Marine Corps
  • Marine Corps Reserve
  • Navy
  • Navy Reserve
  • Apply for TA through your branch of service. Reach out to your Educational Services Officer (ESO) to begin the application process for Tuition Assistance.
  • Submit your TA voucher to Delores Shipp in the Student Accounts Office prior to the tuition due date for the term for which you are requesting benefits.
  • Apply for TA through your branch of service.
  • Submit your TA voucher to Delores Shipp in the Student Accounts Office prior to the tuition due date for the term for which you are requesting benefits.
  • Upon receipt of the TA voucher, your tuition account will be coded "third party payment plan," which will prevent your account from becoming delinquent for the approved amount.
  • In the event you make a change to your enrollment, you must contact your ESO to request revised TA.
  • After grades are posted, DePaul will bill your branch of service for the benefit amount.
If you are planning to use TA combined with any other education benefit, are transitioning from TA to GI Bill® education benefits, or wish to explore additional financial aid options, please contact Megan Burda-Giedraitis at (312) 362-8092.

If you have general questions about using Tuition Assistance benefits at DePaul, please contact Delores Shipp at (312) 362-8391

  • GI Bill®

    GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.