DePaul has a number of students who have children of their own. This dual parent-student identity is important and below find some tailored resources and information for you.
If you need assistance or more details about any of the information on this page please contact the office of Adult, Veteran and Commuter Student Services by phone at 312.362.6216 or via the email address email@example.com.
The office of Adult, Veteran and Commuter Student Affairs plans events from time to time targeting Students with Children. Past events have included visits to the Chicago Children’s Museum, Basketball games, Holiday Tree decorations and more. In addition, the office has annually planned a Conference for Students with Children which provides sessions and information meant for your dual identity as both a student and parent. Past sessions in that day have included topics from bullying to Teaching Resilience. That event occurs each Spring. Click here to view the full list of upcoming events from Adult, Veteran and Commuter Student Affairs. If you have ideas or suggestions on upcoming events, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title IX for Parenting and Pregnant Students
Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex — including pregnancy, parenting and all related conditions — in education and in programs and activities that receive federal funding. If you are a pregnant or parenting student, you have the right to stay in school so you can meet your education and career goals. Below are some frequently asked questions from students in postsecondary schools regarding their Title IX rights. Important information on your rights can be found at this site: http://offices.depaul.edu/diversity/title-ix/Pages/pregnant-parent-student-rights.aspx.
Or email the Title IX coordinator at email@example.com
All parenting students would be eligible for the Annual Adult Student Affairs scholarship. Please review the Financial Awards page for more information on this scholarship.
In 2017-2018, Adult Student Affairs is launching a scholarship particularly for Students with Children. This quarterly scholarship is open to any undergraduate student and awards a $2,000 award each quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring). This award is open to any student meeting criteria below who also has dependent children under 18 that reside in the same household. Deadlines are August 18 for Fall, November 22 for Winter, and February 28 for Spring.
- Have financial need as determined by the results of your FAFSA. All students need to have a FAFSA on file to be considered. By submitting this scholarship application, you are giving the Office of Adult Student Affairs permission to obtain information from your FAFSA report.
- Be a continuing DePaul student who is currently enrolled at least part-time as a graduate (4 credit hours), professional (9 hours) or undergraduate (8 hours).
- Be an adult student. Adult student is defined as an undergraduate student who is 24 years of age or older. All graduate, military veteran, students with children, and professional students may apply regardless of age.
- Have a cumulative 3.5 GPA
- Completely answer all sections of online application and essay. Applications with incomplete sections will be disqualified.
- Submit the application online by the deadline date and time.
- For students with children specific scholarship, stating you have a dependent child under 18 that resides with you at primary residence.
In addition, a number of private foundations offer outside scholarships. See those links below:
DePaul does not offer child-care on campus.
The Ray Meyer Fitness Center offers childcare services, during children’s hours, while the parent is on site. Click here for more details about this service.
Secure lactation and nursing spaces are available on each campus. See below for how to access these spaces.
Lincoln Park Campus
Key Request: Information Desk, Student Center
Office hours: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Room Location: Located near the Information Desk, Student Center (2250 N. Sheffield)
Key Request: Student Affairs Office, Suite 1400, Lewis
Office hours: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Room Location: 14th Floor, Lewis Building (25 E. Jackson Blvd.)
Key Request: Office of Public Relations and Communications, Room 2024
Office Hours: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Room Location: 20th Floor, 55 E. Jackson Blvd
Suburban campus administrators can assist mothers at these locations: