Division of Student Affairs > Resources > Faculty & Staff > Common Faculty Questions > University Counseling Services

University Counseling Services

What counseling services are available to students and faculty?

Full-time and part-time DePaul students currently registered and enrolled in a degree program are eligible for counseling services. Services include: individual, group and couple's counseling; psychiatric evaluation and medication management; crisis intervention; and referrals to community providers and agencies. 

UCS staff members consult with faculty regarding disruptive student behaviors and can create some strategies for intervention in the classroom. Faculty should feel free to call on UCS staff at any time to discuss a difficult situation regarding a student.

Currently, UCS offers referrals in the community if a student is seeking long-term, open-ended psychotherapy, needs the resources of a multidisciplinary team, such as in the case of eating disorders or substance abuse treatment, or needs to be seen multiple times per week. UCS staff members are knowledgeable about resources in the community, many of which offer sliding scale fees.

What kind of concerns are addressed by University counseling services?

UCS strives to help students successfully make important transitions, such as: starting college; living away from home for the first time; transferring from another school to DePaul; returning to college after a time away from school; adjusting after a major life event or trauma (e.g., international travel or new cultural experience, parental divorce, illness or death; an assault or accident), and preparing to move from college to the work force. UCS also provides consultation, assessment and referral, and conducts a wide variety  of workshops for the DePaul community. 

Clients include a diverse population of students of varying ages and ethnicities, who present with a wide variety of situations and concerns, including:

  • ​Adjustment to college
  • Test anxiety
  • General anxiety/panic attacks
  • Depression
  • Self-esteem
  • Motivational problems
  • Eating concerns
  • Relationship issues
  • Body image
  • Sexual identity
  • Family concerns
  • Social confidence
  • Couple concerns

What about the student who refuses to go to counseling? 

Except in certain life-threatening situations, the choice of whether or not to seek professional help is up to the individual. If a troubled student refuses to seek counseling in the absence of risk behaviors, you need to accept the student's decision. If you are quite concerned about such a student, consult with a UCS staff member. In an emergency, contact UCS at (773) 325-7779 to immediately speak to a staff member. A staff psychologist can suggest alternative ways of approaching the student to help more effectively intervene on the student's behalf. You also may consider consulting the Dean of Students Office. ​Unlike UCS, the Dean of Students Office can call the student in for a wellness or well-being check, if indicated.​