What is the Chicago Quarter?
Offered during the autumn quarter, Chicago Quarter courses acquaint first-year students at DePaul with the metropolitan community, its neighborhoods, cultures, people, institutions, organizations and issues. It is through these classes that students make first contact with both the university's urban identity and its Vincentian mission. Students also learn about university life, resources, and how to be a successful student. This learning is accomplished through a variety of means, but particularly through first-hand observation, participation, personal discovery, reflection, discussion, and guest lectures.
Each of the over 100 classes are led by a teaching team consisting of a faculty instructor, a staff professional and a Chicago Quarter Mentor (CQM).
What is a staff professional?
The teaching teams are an essential part of the Chicago Quarter Program and allow new students to build critical relationships and connections with the university community as they transition to DePaul. Faculty lead the academic component of the course focusing on a specific-Chicago related topic. Chicago Quarter Mentors, in partnership with the assigned Staff Professional, plan and deliver the Common Hour component of the Chicago Quarter course. Additionally, staff professionals provide Chicago Quarter Mentors with ongoing guidance, feedback, and formally evaluate (in collaboration with faculty) mentor performance. All members of the team work collaboratively to coordinate and plan the overall course curriculum and lead new students through excursions in the city of Chicago.
What qualifies me to be a staff professional?
To be a staff professional, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Staff member or graduate student at DePaul
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree
- Interest in mentoring and guiding developing and advanced student leaders.
- Ability to assist in planning and co-leading Common Hour lesson plans.
- Commitment to collaboration between faculty, students, and staff.
- Knowledge and familiarity of University resources and ability to seek out and identify resources as necessary.
- Supervisor approval to accept the Staff Professional position.
How can I learn more?
If you want to learn more please contact Ziena Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773.325.7360.
How do I apply?
In order to apply, you’ll need to complete the following steps:
- Contact Ziena Miller at email@example.com or call 773.325.7360.
- Confirm supervisor approval for your participation.