Global Engagement > Student Resources > Study Abroad > External Study Abroad

External Study Abroad

​​Students are strongly encouraged to participate on a DePaul-sponsored study abroad program as these programs allow students to use their financial aid, are incorporated into university systems, and are vetted.

Students who wish to earn transfer credit for a study abroad program outside of DePaul will need to complete the supplemental transfer credit process as outlined by their college academic advising office. Questions about course applicability should be directed to students’ academic advisors.

Please note: Study abroad programs for which DePaul offers a sponsored program (e.g., API London at University of Westminster, SAI Florence at Florence University of the Arts, etc.) are not eligible for transfer credit because DePaul already offers a sponsored program with those courses for resident credit.

Travel Registration with Global Engagement

Per the Student Travel Policy, students who participate in external study abroad programs for transfer credit are required to register in the Global Engagement Travel Registration database. This will enable Study Abroad to provide health and safety monitoring and assistance while students are traveling. It will also enable Study Abroad to enroll you in DePaul’s required travel health and accident insurance plan to provide coverage while you are traveling. The cost of this insurance (approximately $45/month) will be billed to your student account. There are no additional fees charged by DePaul for participation in an external study abroad program for transfer credit.

Financial Aid

Students pursuing external study abroad programs for transfer credit are not able to use DePaul grants and scholarships or any federal/state aid. They pay out-of-pocket directly to the external program. Upon return, students can work with Financial Aid ( to reinstate their aid.

Home School Approval Forms

Study Abroad will complete home school approval forms required by external study abroad program providers. These forms should be sent to Please note, students must have completed their registration in the Global Engagement Travel Registration database in order for DePaul Study Abroad to sign these forms.

Accreditation & Transcripts

Accreditation: The program must offer a transcript from an accredited institution. If you study abroad through a non-accredited institution, you will need a transcript from their “school of record.” If your admissions contact at the institution cannot guarantee you an official transcript from an accredited institution, do not choose the program. 

Transcripts: Electronic transcripts may be sent to or physical transcripts can be sent to:

Office of Undergraduate Admission
1 E. Jackson Blvd., Suite 9000
Chicago, IL 60604