Global Engagement > Student Resources > Global Competency Certificate
Every graduate student has different goals and the Global Competency Certificate allows you the flexibility to customize your global experiences to reflect your interests and expertise. The Global Competency Certificate validates the global skills and competencies developed during your graduate studies at DePaul. Use the Global Competency Certificate to:
The Global Competency Certificate is available to all graduate students who meet the requirements prior to the completion of their degree.
Please complete this form to submit your certificate application.
For questions, contact DePaul’s Global Engagement office at firstname.lastname@example.org
To earn the certificate, choose activities and learning experiences from the categories below. Earn 50 points across 3 of the 5 categories and you will be eligible for the Global Competency Certificate.
1. New Language Skills (up to 30 points) - Language coursework taken during your graduate program
2. Global Experiential Learning (up to 130 points) - Students earn points in this category by completing one or more global experiential learning opportunities including:
· A short or term-long faculty led study abroad program. Both DePaul managed and non-DePaul programs qualify.
· A course with a Global Learning Experience (GLE) project. This must be officially recognized GLE course, through the office of Global Engagement.
· A Division of Mission and Ministry service trip (DMM) (international only).
· A Vincentian Heritage Tour to France.
· A Global Brigades program (international only).
3. Global Learning Courses (up to 10 points) - Students may take and pass a maximum of 2 (two) Global Learning tagged courses. Courses that satisfy another requirement cannot count for this requirement.
4. International Scholarship & Creative Activities (up to 90 points). Students can provide evidence of their completion of an international case competition, article submission, conference attendance and/or presentation.
5. International Practice (up to 160 points) Students can provide evidence of participation in Global Conversations, international internship/work experience, volunteer community work, or networking events.
After completing the requirements, students will complete a Video Synthesis Reflection discussing their GCC experience and key learning take-aways.
Please register by completing the form here. You will be contacted by email@example.com within 1 (one) week when you are added to the GCC D2L site.
Please follow this step-by-step instruction to search for Global Learning Courses in Campus Connect.
Attached is a list of suggested GL-tagged courses. Please note that this list is subject to change at any time. This list should not be considered final or comprehensive. Please refer to Campus Connect (instructions above) to determine final GL-tagged status.
Students will be invited to join the Global Competency Certificate D2L page. There they will upload documents to verify their experiences. Please note, in addition to evidence of participation, students will be asked to provide a reflection of their learnings from some activities. Details regarding required documents and reflections is available on the GCC D2L site.
No, the Global Competency Certificate is a stand-alone certificate and will not appear on your transcript. You will receive a physical certificate once you have finished your graduate program and fulfilled all of the requirements.
Global Engagement will accept international internships through your study abroad program or through a virtual international internship. These options allow for DePaul University to verify the quality of the internship. For international internships outside of these programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if it will be accepted for credit.
For more information or if you have questions, please contact email@example.com.