DePaul University Student Employment > Hiring & Managing > Employment Eligibility

On-Campus Employment Eligibility

Student Eligibility Requirements

As a student employee manager, it is your responsibility to ensure that your student employees meet enrollment requirements to be eligible to work on campus.

Students (U.S. Citizens/Permanent Residents) International Students
Enrollment Requirement ​​​Half-time Student Status Full-time Student Status
   Undergraduate 6 credit hours 12 credit hours
   Graduate 4 credit hours 8 credit hours
   Law 6 credit hours 12 credit hours
Work Hour Limits Up to 25 hours per week* Up to 20 hours per week*

Please Note: During holiday/school breaks and summer, student employees are eligible to work up to 40 hours based on your department's needs and budget. International students must contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) before working more than 20 hours per week.

Tip to Ensure Enrollment Eligibility

Ask students for a copy of their schedule at the beginning of each quarter to ensure they are enrolled in the required number of credits. If your student employees drop a class, make sure they are still eligible for work on campus. ​

Employing International Students

International students are eligible to work on campus provided they are enrolled full–time. Students in J–1 visa status, however, must first obtain permission from International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) before beginning work. In addition, international students must:

  • Check with ISS before working more than 20 hours to ensure eligibility. (Students can have more than one job, but the total number of hours worked per week should not exceed 20 hours—this includes hourly and stipend positions—unless given permission from ISS).
  • Obtain a Social Security number during their payroll appointment. In order to obtain a Social Security number, students will be required to provide a letter from their employer. For more information, please visit the ISS informational page or download the checklist​ for obtaining a Social Security number. ​