The lists below reflect items currently prohibited or restricted in DePaul University on-campus housing. The Department of Housing Services reserves the right to update this list at any time.
Prohibited items are not allowed in the residence halls at any time. Possession of such items can pose a serious fire and/or safety hazard and will constitute a violation of Housing Services policies. Such items may be confiscated and possession may result in disciplinary action.
- Extension cords
- Electric blankets
- Halogen light bulbs in floor or desk lamps
- Lava lamps and strobe lights
- Outlet adapters and outlet splitters
- Candles, even if not lit
- Scented oil burners
- Explosives (fireworks, firecrackers)
- Flammable materials (including but not limited to charcoal)
- Flammable liquids (propane, motor oil, gasoline, cooking, fuel, kerosene)
- Live cut trees
- Live cut pumpkins
- Swords and martial arts blades
- Pepper spray and mace
- Stun guns and Tasers
- Knives used for any purpose besides cooking
- Any other weapon not specifically listed
Alcohol and Drug Paraphernalia
- Large quantities or containers of alcohol, including kegs, cases, coolers or handles (1.75L)
- Any table or device used for playing drinking games
- Paraphernalia used to consume alcohol, including shot glasses, punch bowls, funnels, party/beer balls, bulk alcohol containers, coolers, etc.
- Paraphernalia that may be utilized for illegal drug use, including pipes, grinders, one hitters, bowls, etc.
- More than one refrigerator or microwave per unit
- Appliances that use more than 900 watts or that have exposed heating elements
- Portable air-conditioning units
- Toaster ovens and convection ovens
- Deep fryers
- Outdoor grills
- Non-university mattresses or lofts
- Self-propelled mobile/movement devices, including hoverboards and Segway scooters (excludes wheelchairs or devices approved by the Center for Students with Disabilities)
- Liquid or gel drain clog remover chemicals
- Drums and other percussion instruments
- Amplified electrical instruments
- Pets, except non-carnivorous fish (see Restricted Items below). Having an unapproved pet and failing to remove it from campus housing is in direct violation of your housing agreement and may result in damage billing fees or termination of your housing agreement.
- Stolen property, including street signs or CTA signs
- Bicycles (not allowed in halls or rooms, only on outside racks or storage facilities)
Restricted items are allowed in residence halls but have specific parameters on what type and how or where they may be used. Details are listed with each item. Failure to adhere to the parameters described may result in disciplinary action.
Appliances Allowed in Units
- Coffee makers and electric kettles - May only be used under constant supervision. Single-serve and traditional coffee makers must be switched off when not in use.
- Hair appliances (hair dryers, hair straightening irons, curling irons) - May only be used under constant supervision. Must be unplugged when not in use.
- Microwaves - Must be 900 watts or less. Only one allowed per unit
- Refrigerators - Must be 4.8 cubic feet or less (except DePaul-provided full-size fridge in apartments and some community kitchen lounges). Only one refrigerator per unit. No mini-fridges allowed in apartments.
Appliances Only Allowed in Community Lounge Kitchens or Apartment Kitchens
Must be unplugged when not in use.
- Hot plates and electric burners
- Rice cookers and slow cookers
- Indoor grilling appliances (electric griddles, electric skillets, George Foreman Grills)
- Sandwich makers, panini presses and waffle makers
- Popcorn poppers
- Clothing irons - May also be used in laundry rooms
- Single strand of decorative lights (if plugged directly into wall outlet)
- Plug-in air freshners without built-in outlet(s)
- Power strip with built-in circuit breaker
- Kitchen knives are allowed if they are designed for, and used exclusively for, cooking only and for no other purpose
- Non-carniverous fish, limited to one tank of 10 gallons or less, only one tank per unit