Global Engagement > Student Resources > Study Abroad > Health, Safety, & Travel > Visa Information and Resources

Visa Information and Resources

​​​​​​​Some DePaul study abroad programs require students to obtain student visas. On this page, you will find links to where you can find relevant information about visas organized by country. The best source of information for entry and visa requirements is at the local consulate or embassy of your host country. Local consulates and embassies provide the most up-to-date visa requirements for students who are planning to study abroad. If your program requires you to obtain a visa, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the host country’s local consulate or embassy for up-to-date instructions on how to obtain a visa.

Please note that the visa information on this page is most applicable to term-long study abroad programs. For short-term study abroad programs, please contact the Program Manager listed on specific program web pages for more information.

If you need additional visa assistance, feel free to contact Swift Passport & Visa Services, a local company that specializes in visa and passport services.

Please be aware if you plan on traveling before or after your program dates, you may be restricted by entry and/or exit requirements of the country. Please contact your Study Abroad Advisor before you book your flights in order to discuss pre- or post-program travel plans.

Special Note for non-U.S. Citizens:

If you are an international student/non-U.S. citizen, please also contact International Student and Scholar Services at in order to ensure that you understand any entry/exit requirements. We encourage you to work closely with your ISSS and Study Abroad Advisors, as well as relevant Embassies or Consulates, to ensure that you have the proper documentation to allow you to exit and re-enter the United States for your academic program. Green Card Holders / Permanent Residents should contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office in the Department of Homeland Security in order to determine the best course of action in preparing for a study abroad program.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  The information below is a summary of the requirements for various countries. Visa requirements can be quite detailed and governments can change visa rules, costs and regulations very quickly. It is the student’s responsibility to verify the most accurate and up-to-date visa information of the host country. The Study Abroad Program will update this website periodically to reflect changes and updates.

Due to COVID 19, much of this information is quickly changing.​​ Some consulates are closed or have changed visa processes. Please contact DePaul Study Abroad at (312) 362-6962 or to understand entry requirements to participate in programs abroad. 

This webpage was last updated on: 10/28/22

Nearest Consulate or Embassy:

Consulate General of Australia
123 N. Upper Wacker Dr #1330
Chicago, IL 60606
Phone: +1-312 419 1480

Australian Embassy

1601 Massachusetts Avenue, NW

Washington DC, 20036-2273+1 (202) 797 3000


Typical visa application materials:


Processing Time and Cost:

Anywhere between one month or three months
Approx. $400- $500 USD *costs are subject to change

Additional Information:

Please note: You must have your CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) Certificate from the hosting institution before you can apply for your SubClass 500 visa. Please talk with your Study Abroad Advisor if you have additional questions.

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Australia: Australian Catholic University Exchange


Nearest Consulate or Embassy

31 East 69th Street
New York, NY 10021

Typical visa application materials

Vienna University of Economics and Business strongly encourages students staying in Austria from 91-180 days to apply for a D-Type visa at the Austrian Consulate in their jurisdiction prior to leaving for Austria to avoid complications upon arrival. Austrian visa applicants must apply in person and the New York Consulate has jurisdiction over Illinois. To apply for a visa, students must attend the “Austrian Consular Days” in Chicago in the month of May. Consult with Study Abroad for these dates.

Visa D fee approx. $100 *costs are subject to change without notice

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

875 N Michigan Ave #1562

Chicago, IL 60611


Typical visa application materials:

- Visa Application: Chilean National Migration Service Portal 

- Create an account

- Select "Solicitud de Residencia Temporal para Extranjeros dentro de Chile"

Application Information 

- Valid Passport (at least 6 months after last day of program in Chile)

FBI Background Check stating that applicant has no records nationwide.

- Letter of acceptance from University or School where the applicant will be studying.

- Letter from U.S. home school (DePaul University)

- Health certificate recently issued and signed by a doctor stating that the applicant is in good health and has no infectious or contagious diseases.

- Proof of financial solvency (scholarship, notarized letter of financial support from the parents)

Additional materials may be required by the Chilean Migration Service.


Processing Time and Cost

Up to 4 Weeks

Once the visa is granted, students have no more than 90 to enter the country.

For U.S. citizens it is $211.09 USD. The fee for other nationalities may vary. Visa fees are determined by the Chilean government. All fees will be paid directly on the Chilean National Migration Service portal.


Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Chile: Study At Universidad Adolfo Ibañez


Nearest Consulate or Embassy

1 W. Erie Street
Chicago, IL 60654
Consulate: 312-803-0095
Passport and Visa Office: 312-453-0210

Typical visa application materials

X1 Student Visa: issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies, or fieldwork for more than 180 days
X2 Student Visa: issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies, or fieldwork for less than 180 days

1. Passport

2. Visa Application Form (Form V.2013) and color passport photo on glossy paper, glued to form, must be typed

3. Proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to non-U.S. citizens)

4. Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas (applicable to foreign citizens who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship)

5. Passport photo (2x2)

6. Original and photocopy of the Admission Notice issued by a school or other entities in China

7. JW201 OR JW202 sample here

Additional materials may be required depending on the office processing your application


Processing Time and Cost

Up to 6 business days

$140 (multiple entries for 6 months)

Does not accept cash payments.


Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Please be aware of length of stay (180 days or less) will determine the type of visa required (X1 or X2)


Nearest Consulate or Embassy

205 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 3700
Chicago, IL 60601

STEP 1 - Gather information on your situation

Seek information and check if you require a visa or not

This portal helps you assemble the information you will need before submitting your visa application online.

The visa wizard will help you determine, depending on your situation, the visa requirements to which you are subject, as well as the submission fee and required supporting documents.

If you have lived in the Schengen Area within the past 6 months please use the Visa Calculator tool to determine the precise number of days you have remaining. (online calculator).

Determine which authority is approved to receive your application

In addition to furnishing important general information, this link offers pages specific to your local, so that you can access the most accurate information for your visa application.

STEP 2 - Set up my online application

Fill out the visa application form

To submit a visa application, you must provide at least the following :

> A travel document (original + copy) in good condition, issued less than 10 years ago, with at least two blank pages, which is valid for at least three months after the date on which you have planned to leave the Schengen Area, or in the event of a long stay, which is valid for at least three months on the date on which the requested visa expires. However, in the event of a duly proven emergency, this final requirement may be waived.

> 2 recent ID pictures in ISO/IECI format (pdf)

> The supporting documents (originals and copy) depending on your situation and your plan

Important : All documents in languages other than French or English must be translated into French.

> Your application fees are due upon filing.

> If your home country is eligible, you must fill out the online application form. You will be guided through the whole process by on-screen explanations.

> Before validating and printing out your application, you will be asked to create a personal account that includes your email address in order to save your partially- or fully-completed form. After this step, you will receive the list of required supporting documents and have the opportunity to book your appointment.

STEP 3 - Book your appointment

Arrange an appointment with the visa application centre

Make sure you allow enough time before your departure date to schedule an appointment to have your application reviewed.

> Check on the average appointment wait times to ensure that you are able to submit your application three months to two weeks prior to your departure date for a long stay visa and 6 months to two weeks to your departure date for a short stay visa.

> In most cases, the consular services use external service providers to receive visa applicants and their documents. The consular services nonetheless remain fully responsible for reviewing applications and making visa issuance decisions.

> You will find all the necessary details to make an appointment on the country of application page.

STEP 4 - Submit your file

Application in person

> You must attend your appointment with all the required documents. Also bring a copy of each document, including the passport and its ID pages.

> The service provider (or consulate) will receive you, review your application, collect the visa fee, capture your biometric data (photo and fingerprints) and retain your passport and the copies of all your supporting documents in order to forward them to the consulate.

> The visa application submission will take approximately 20 minutes at the visa centre.


> All visas issued by France are biometric visas.

> Any visa applicant aged 12 or older must submit his or her visa application in person. The following biometric data will be required: a photo (scanned or taken during your appointment), and ten individually-taken fingerprints.

> If you hold a biometric Schengen visa issued within 59 months, either bearing the mention ‘VIS’ or issued after March 2016, your previous biometric data can be re-used.



Visa application fees are composed of :

> The administrative costs incurred for the processing of your application. The amount paid is kept by the administration, even in cases where visas are denied. For more details, please refer to the table of application fees by visa type (pdf).

> If application fees are received by an external service provider, this provider is responsible for collecting the appropriate fees. The service charge differs by country, but may not exceed € 40 per visa application. External service providers are also authorized by the administration to offer additional services at cost.

You may be exempt from attending your visa appointment in person if :

You have held previous Schengen visas and have used them in accordance with the law.

You travel regularly or frequently for the same purpose.

NOTE: To confirm whether  someone else can apply for a visa on your behalf, please contact your visa centre


STEP 5 - Track your application

Tracking your application and collecting your passport

In most cases, you can track the progress of your application. For details, go to our track the progress of your application page.

You will be notified when your passport is ready for collection from the visa centre where you applied.

In some instances, the passport can be sent by postal services.

Other Typical visa application materials

Get started here. 

1. You must complete the Campus France online application process. This application will be reviewed and you will be emailed of your approval

2. Request a student visa at your assigned French Consulate – you must go in person

3. Go to consulate for visa interview – you must appear in person, there will be a visa processing fee, bring copies of important documents (they will not make copies for you), bring admission letters for program

4. If relevant, register with the local immigration office once you’re in France

5. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visa pages left.

6. If you are not a U.S. citizen: A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20 (+ ONE COPY).

7. Positive proof of residence in the geographic area for which the consulate is responsible

8. Processing fee in the U.S. dollar equivalent of €50. Exceptions: Recipients of scholarships from the French government or European Union (Chateaubriand, Eiffel, Franco-American Fulbright Commission, Erasmus Mundus, Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie) are not required to pay the application and processing fee.

9. One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant.

10. One passport photo glued/stapled onto the application form (white background, full face, no glasses nor hat, closed mouth).

11. "Attestation" from CAMPUSFRANCE: An e-mail message from CampusFrance (entitled “confirmation e-mail”) informing the student that he or she may begin preparations to apply to the consulate for the visa (make appointment, collect documents). This message should not be confused with the earlier message from CampusFrance notifying the student of the creation of his or her CampusFrance account, or with the message indicating that a receipt for payment was available for download. 

12. Receipt for payment issued by CampusFrance (does not apply to exempted students). 

13. Proof of registration: A copy of the student’s official acceptance letter or acknowledgment of enrollment, addressed to the student and mentioning his or her full name, printed on institutional letterhead and specifying the exact dates (day, month, year) of the academic program and including full contact information for the individual issuing the offer or acknowledgment, as well as the full address of the educational institution. Said address may serve as the student’s temporary address in France. Three cases are possible:

i. Students taking part in an exchange program between an American and a French institution. In this case, the acceptance or enrollment letter may be issued from either institution provided the formal exchange agreement is identified and the information specified above is provided. 

ii. Students enrolling directly in a French institution as an independent student. In this case, the acceptance or enrollment letter must be from the admitting institution and include all of the information specified above. 

iii. Students enrolling in an American program in France (operated by an American institution with a branch in France). In this case, the acceptance or enrollment letter must come from the American institution and include all of the information specified above.

14. Financial guarantee: Non-scholarship students must prove that they have access to at least $820 per month. Proof may be provided in the form of: the applicant’s bank statement showing a balance of $820 multiplied by the number of months to be spent in France,

i. or a notarized financial guarantee form signed by a guarantor declaring that the guarantor will provide the student applicant with at least $820 per month, plus the guarantor’s most recent bank statement.

ii. Or for students receiving scholarship and financial aid: Letter of scholarship award specifying amount and duration of award, issued by the financial aid office of the student applicant’s home institution.

15. The French immigration (OFII) form (upper part) [*] should be filled out by the following students:

 ALL students who will be staying in France for more than six months (180 days)

i. Students who will be staying in France for a period of time between four and six months (for a total duration of 91-180 days) who wish to be allowed to work in France while studying. 

ii. Students who will be staying in France for a period of time between four and six months (for a total duration of 91-180 days) who wish to be able to extend their visa once they are in France. 

Applicants are requested to print their e-mail address very carefully to avoid any risk of confusion or error. Applicants will be notified of their OFII appointment by e-mail.

16. An airline reservation showing date of departure or a handwritten and legible statement from the applicant indicating the intended date of departure, as well as a formal commitment not to depart before that date. It is not possible to modify the start date of a visa once the application is made. 

17. A self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from the US POST OFFICE ONLY - NO FEDEX / UPS / AIRBORNE EXPRESS accepted.

Additional materials may be required depending on the office processing your application

Processing Time and Cost


Campus France processing time is at least 3 weeks

Consulate process takes at least 2 weeks

Students can only apply beginning 90 days from departure date

Visa Fee: 50 Euros

Cost may change without notice.


Additional Information


Please note: Students must make an appointment at the consulate and apply for visas in person.


Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:


Only if your length of stay exceeds 90 days


France: Study at Sciences Po (Exchange)

France: Study at École Normale Supérieure

Paris IES: Advanced French Language Studies at IES


France and Sweden: Atlantis II Dual Degree Program


*The Paris Alliance Française Spring quarter program is under 90 days and therefore students DO NOT need a visa, unless they plan to travel within the Schengen Zone for more than 90 days. In that case, students may need a Schengen visa.



Nearest Consulate or Embassy


650 N. St. Clair St.

Chicago, IL 60611



Typical visa application materials


To apply for a visa you shall submit:

1. Visa application form in english, completed and signed. 

2. Passport, with at least two blank pages. The passport shall have been issued within the previous ten years. The passport shall be valid for at least three months after the intended date of your departure from the Schengen area or, in the case of multiple trips, until the date on which you plan to depart after your final stay.

3. A recent photograph conforming to ICAO standards .

4. Fingerprints. The applicant’s fingerprints shall be collected if they have not been registered in the VIS within the previous 59 months, during a previous lodging of a Schengen visa application. Certain categories of applicants are exempt from this obligation.

5. Visa fee. Fees are paid in USD. The exchange rate is subject to change on a monthly basis. For the exact amount please call the consulate.


Supporting documents

List of required supporting documents

6. A valid Alien Resident Card or a visa to the U.S. (except for B1/B2).

7. Bank and credit card statements for the last 3 months.

8. W-2 forms for the last 2 years.

9. a) For employees: Reference letter from the employer stating position and monthly or annual salary
b) For self-employed persons: A letter from the bank that you do business with, stating that the company is in good standing.
c) For foreign students on F1 visas:
            -valid I-20
            -reference letter from educational institution (school/college/university) stating that you are in good standing, your major and the expected date of graduation.

10. Roundtrip tickets and itinerary of your trip.

11. Hotel reservations or proof of participation in group travel.
            -If you are invited by a friend or family member: A letter of invitation (affidavit) signed by the inviting person and duly notarized in Greece.
            -If you are travelling for business and your accommodation costs are covered by an inviting company


Travel Medical Insurance


Applicants shall have travel medical insurance that covers emergency medical care, hospitalization and repatriation (in case of death included). The minimum coverage should be for €30.000. This insurance shall be valid for the entire Schengen area, in the case of a uniform visa, or for the territory of member state(s) concerned in case of a visa of limited territorial validity, and throughout the duration of the stay.


Please note that, during the processing time, the consulate may, in individual cases, ask you to submit additional information or documents, or, if deemed necessary, call the applicant for an interview.


Attention! When your passport is returned to you, we ask that you check the affixed visa for any errors. If you find any errors, notify the consular authority immediately. If you do not do so, the consular authority bears no responsibility for any problems you may have carrying out your trip.

See useful information here on the visa you have been issued and on your trip to Greece and the Schengen area.



Additional Information

Please note:


-The Consular Office reserves the right to ask for further documentation, in addition to the above mentioned.

-The applicant has to provide original and a set of photocopies of the above-mentioned documents.

-All visa applicants must appear in person in order to submit their application at least two weeks prior to their trip.


-Once the visa has been approved and issued, the Greek Consulate can mail your passport to your residence if you provide them with a prepaid express envelope only from the post office (FEDEX, UPS, DHL etc).


A vital part of your student visa application is the nationwide criminal history record (FBI identification record). The process for obtaining this report is lengthy (6-8 weeks) and therefore requesting this information demands your immediate attention. Students holding U.S. passports must request their official criminal history report through the FBI and the document is officially referred to as an FBI Identification Record. Students will need to submit the nationwide criminal history record during the visa application. Students in the past have used an organization called Accurate Biometrics to obtain their police records and FBI Background checks more quickly (approximately within 72 hours).


Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:


Athens: The College Year in Athens (CYA) Experience

Programs lasting over 90 days



Nearest Consulate or Embassy

303 East Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601
312-344-1290 (visit website to make an appointment)

Typical visa application materials

Students will apply for a residence permit (Type D for longer than 90 days). View application requirements here.

Processing Time and Cost

15-30 days
110 Euro 

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

1 E. Wacker Dr. Suite 1820

Chicago, IL 60601

Typical visa application materials

Visa Required Countries

Please note: American citizens do not need a visa to study in Ireland

Additional Information

Please note: American citizens do not need a visa to study in Ireland. However, all students studying in the Republic of Ireland for more than 3 months must register with the Irish Police Force and pay a 300 Euro fee for a Residency Permit upon arrival. In order to obtain your Residency Permit, you will need:


  • Your original passport
  • DePaul University Acceptance / Certification Letter
  • Acceptance letter from your Irish Host Institution
  • CISI Worldwide Health Insurance ID card or confirmation letter (can be printed from the CISI Participant Portal). Your ID card or confirmation letter must be printed in its original color format (black and white version may not be accepted).
  • 300 Euro Registration fee. Only credit card, debit card and Bank Giro are accepted (American Express cards are not accepted at some GNIB branches). Cash will not be accepted.
  • After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date stamped on your passport at border control. If you don't get permission and register on time, you may have to leave the country.
  • If you plan to leave and come back to Ireland during your stay, you must prove to an immigration officer that you have a valid reason to enter Ireland every time you return.
Make sure you have any necessary documents with you for each return journey before you travel.

*YEAR students only: An original bank statement from an Irish bank which shows funds of €3,000. You must open a bank account in Ireland in order to demonstrate your financial status to the Immigration authorities. Student bank accounts with Irish banks are not liable to any bank surcharges. You will need to have a letter to open a bank account and this can be obtained from the International Office at your University. Staff can explain how to open an Irish bank account during Orientation.

  • Additional materials may be required

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Programs lasting over 90 days
Students without USA Passports
Dublin Parliamentary Internship Program
Cork: Study at University College Cork

Nearest Consulate or Embassy


500 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1850
Chicago, IL 60601
312-467-1550 ext. 807
Learn how to make an appointment, here.


Typical visa application materials

View list of requirements here.
Within 8 days of entering Italy with the visa, you must request a Permesso di Soggiorno (Permit of Stay) to the Questura in the city where your school is located. When requesting the Permesso di soggiorno you may be asked to submit copies of the entire documentation submitted for the visa.

Processing Time and Cost

1-4 weeks
50 Euros per visa – view fee information here.
The consulate ONLY accepts money orders

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:


Nearest Consulate or Embassy

737 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1100
Chicago, IL 60611

Typical visa application materials

IMPORTANT NOTICE: U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa to enter Japan when the purpose of their visit is tourism, commerce, a conference, meeting, visit to relatives/acquaintances, etc for up to 90 days of stay in Japan. However, when you engage in paid activities in Japan, you need the visa. 
  1. Applicant's valid passport, properly signed by bearer with 2 blank visa pages
  2. VISA APPLICATION FORM TO ENTER JAPAN (available here), completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  3. One recent (in the last 6 months), color photograph (2"x 2") attached to application form with name printed on the back
  4. Copy of contract between visa applicant and company/organization in Japan if applying for Entertainer/Artist/Engineer/Skilled labor visa
  5. Original "Certificate of Eligibility" from the Ministry of Justice in Japan and one photocopy (For instructions for obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility, have your Sponsor in Japan refer to Immigration Services Agency of Japan (
  6. Pre-paid self-addressed return envelope (optional) you must submit a USPS self-addressed return envelope. (Please note: Recipient’s name and address must match as on the visa application information).
The Embassy of Japan reserves the right to request additional documents if deemed necessary.

The Embassy of Japan will not make copies, if you need original documents, please bring the original and one copy.

Additional materials may be required depending on the office processing your application.

You can apply in person or via mail.

Processing Time and Cost

Approximately 5- 7 business days. There is no expedite service.
U.S. citizens are exempt from visa fees
Please note that some visa applications require consultation with the headquarters in Japan and may take longer than general processing time.

Additional Information

Please contact your Study Abroad Advisor for more information about how to get your CoE – Certificate of Eligibility for your study abroad program in Japan.

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Kyoto: Japanese Language and Culture
Osaka: Studies at Kansai Gaidai University
Programs lasting longer than 90 days

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
3504 International Drive, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
Telephone Number:
(202) 966 – 2664

The Embassy of Jordan in Washington (

Visa Information from Qasid Institute

Typical visa application materials

To study in Jordan students will purchase a tourist visa at Jordan's Queen Alia International Airport (about $45-$56) upon arrival at the airport in Amman.

This initial visa is a one month visa. As a student planning to stay for the semester, you will need to extend your visa to 3 months. During the first week of classes, Qasid Institute staff will assist students by coordinating and escorting students to the appropriate local offices so the one month visa can be extended to three months. For students only studying at Qasid for one term, this initial extension suffices to cover the duration of their stay.  

*Visa renewal processes are subject to change, but the Qasid Institute staff can assist students with the process.

**The visa purchased at the airport is a one-entry visa, so if a student leaves the country of Jordan, he/she will have to purchase another visa upon re-entry.

Please see the visa application here.

*Visa recourse:

Estimated Cost

Initial Cost: $56

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

204 S. Ashland Ave.
Chicago, IL 60607
312-738-2383 EXT: 1207

Typical visa application materials

Please visit the Consulate General of Mexico in Chicago’s website for a complete guide on how to obtain your student visa.
Everyone who requires a visa regardless of age needs to apply for it in person at the Consulate.

Processing Time and Cost

Up to 10 business days

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Guadalajara and Mexico City: Study at Panamerican University (Students that are U.S. Citizens only need a visa if studying longer than 180 days)
Mexico City: Study at Iberoamericana (Students that are U.S. Citizens only need a visa if studying longer than 180 days)

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

180 N. Michigan Ave. #401
Chicago, IL 60601
English (

Typical visa application materials

Passport valid at least 6 months after return date. You’ll obtain a tourist visa at the port of entry in Peru. You’ll want to request 180 days as the length of the tourist visa at the airport. See below for the documents you’ll need to apply for a  student visa after arrival.
Checklist available here
  1. Valid (tourist) visa at the time of application
  2. For Students: Enrollment certification issued by a recognized educational institution
  3. For interns: Official letter from the foreign university or higher education institution, legalized by the Peruvian Consulate (or stamped with an Apostille) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  4. Proof of sufficient financial resources to fund your studies or internship in Peru
  5. Application form, fee, and Form 004

Additional materials may be required depending on the office processing your application

Processing Time and Cost

Dependent upon country of citizenship and visa type

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Non-U.S. citizens should contact their consulate to verify specific entry requirements
Lima: Study At Universidad Pontificia Catolica del Peru (Exchange)

*Visa resource:

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

180 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1500
Chicago, IL 60601

The Consulate of Spain in Chicago will consider applications in person for visas by appointment only. Make an appointment online here

Typical visa application materials

Checklist available here

Processing Time and Cost

Approx. 4 weeks 
Student Visas $160 in MONEY ORDERS ONLY

Additional Information

Please note: students staying less than 90 days do not need a visa

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

150 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1940
Chicago, IL 60601

Typical visa application materials

Online application and steps to apply available here

Processing Time and Cost

Time is dependent upon country of citizenship; usually for non-EU residents wait can take up to 1-3 months

Residence permits for students: Swedish SEK 1,500 ($176 USD equivalent)

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

Nearest Consulate or Embassy

British Consulate-General - Chicago
625 N Michigan Ave #2200
Chicago, IL 60611

Typical visa application materials

Standard Visitor Visa (for any short course less than 6 months)

Student Visa (for courses 6+ months or courses with an internship component)

Processing Time and Cost

Standard Visitor Visa: 3-4 weeks
Sutdent Visa: 3-4 weeks
Standard Visitor Visa : £100
Student Visa: £363

Additional Information

  • Students initial entry into the United Kingdom cannot be through Ireland or Scotland for both visa types.

Student Visa (for courses 6+ months or courses with an internship component)

  • You cannot apply for the visa until you receive your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) from the hosting institution.

Specific Programs that this visa information applies to:

London: Design and Technical Theatre Studies