Global Engagement > Student Resources > International Student & Scholar Services > Tax Responsibilities

Tax Responsibilities

DePaul international students and scholars received an email on February 19 with instructions on how to use the SPRINTAX Tax Preparation service. Please check your preferred email account as indicated in Campus Connect. You may need to check your spam folder. If you did not receive the email please contact 

All international students and scholars in F and J non-immigrant status are responsible for filing appropriate income tax forms each year, even if they have no U.S. source of income.

  • Non-resident individuals who were present in the U.S. in 2017 and earned taxable U.S. income must complete and file IRS Forms 8843 and 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 17, 2018.
  • Individuals who earned taxable income in Illinois will also need to file Illinois form IL-1040 by April 17, 2018.
  •  Individuals who were present in 2017 but did not receive any U.S. income need only file Form 8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals) by June 15, 2018. Filing Form 8843 documents your status as a non-resident alien who is exempt from counting days toward the substantial presence test.

It is advisable to make photocopies of all forms submitted to IRS to be kept for your records. Tax forms and additional instruction can be found on the IRS website at

Sprintax for U.S. Federal Income Tax

All non-immigrant international students and scholars who were present in the U.S. in 2017 are required to file appropriate U.S. federal income tax forms.

Individuals who earned taxable income in 2017 will file IRS forms 8843 and 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR.

Individuals who did not earn taxable income in 2017 will file IRS form 8843.
Sprintax is the easiest way to prepare your federal income tax forms. The Sprintax software will walk you through each step of your tax form and wil generate your compete federal tax form/s for you. 

Your FREE personal access code for Sprintax Tax Preparation was emailed to you on February 19, 2018. Please check your preferred email account as listed in Campus Connect - you may need to check your spam folder also. If you did not receive your email with access code, please contact  

Please note that your access code will allow you to access the Sprintax system and file your federal tax forms free of charge. If you need to file state tax forms you can do so through Sprintax at an additional cost. ​

Sprintax for State Income Tax

Students and scholars who earned U.S. income in 2017 will need to file state tax forms (e.g., IL-1040). State tax forms may be filed using Sprintax.

​Please note that your access code will allow you to access the Sprintax system and file your federal tax forms free of charge. If you need to file state tax forms you can do so through Sprintax at an additional cost. ​

Professional Tax Preparation Services

For additional assistance with filing your federal or state tax returns, you may wish to contact one of the following professional tax services.

DePaul 1098-T Forms

What is a 1098-T form?
  • Form 1098-T is a document issued by DePaul University summarizing student-related educational costs for annual income tax returns. The form summarizes qualified tuition and fees for the calendar year (January 1 through December 31).  

Do international students need Form 1098-T?

  • Students file Form 1098-T to claim tax education credit. Generally, international students cannot claim the tax education credit though some students are eligible if they are deemed to be Resident Aliens for tax purposes under the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) substantial presence test.

How can international students request a Form 1098-T from DePaul University?

  • In order to obtain a Form 1098-T, a student must have a social security number (SSN). Students who do not have a SSN may apply for an individual tax identification number (ITIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
  • Once a student has a SSN or ITIN, s/he must complete the Personal Information Change Request form found on DePaul's University Registrar website. Students will be required to provide an official document that indicates their ITIN from IRS and a copy of a valid passport showing the same name associated with the ITIN.
  • Once the ITIN information has been updated with the University Registrar, the student may request Form 1098-T from Student Accounts by either a) calling or visiting DePaul Central to speak with a Student Accounts Counselor or b) emailing a request to Student Accounts.
  • Once a Student Accounts counselor confirms that the student has eligible tuition charges for the tax year, the request for Form 1098-T will be processed.

Working in the U.S. and Taxes

Social Security / Medicare Taxes

IRS Publication 519 entitled U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens indicates that no Social Security or Medicare taxes are to be withheld from earnings for services performed to carry out the purpose for which an F-1 student was admitted to the United States.  The types of services exempt from Social Security and Medicare withholding include on-campus work, practical training, and economic hardship employment (IRS Publication 519, p. 39, Students and Exchange Visitors). 

International students are exempt from these withholdings as long as they are considered to be a "non-resident alien" for tax purposes.  Students maintaining legal F-1 status are generally considered to be a non-resident alien if they have been in the United States for a period of less than five years.  

If you would like to avoid paying these taxes, please talk with the payroll department of your on-campus or practical training job.

Avoid Tax Schemes

A message from the USCIS Public Engagement Division:

Do not fall victim to scammers who call and say they are with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)! There has been an increase in aggressive phone scams where people call and threaten you with police arrest or deportation if you don't pay them.

Even if you do owe taxes...

  • The IRS will NEVER call and demand immediate payment over the phone.
  • The IRS will NEVER try to threaten or intimidate you, demand payment with a prepaid debit card, or ask for your credit card or debit card number over the phone.
  • The IRS will NEVER threaten to call the police or immigration agents if you don't pay.

If you get a call like this, report it to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration by calling 800.366.4484 or visiting Also, report it to the Federal Trade Commission at

For more information on tax scams, watch this video and read this IRS Tax Tip. If you think you owe taxes, you can call the IRS at 800.829.1040 and they can help you arrange a payment plan.

Visit or to learn how to recognize and avoid immigration scams and find authorized legal services.​  


Please note that ISS staff are not licensed tax professionals and the information contained on this page is provided as general advice as a service to our students. This information is not a substitute for advice given by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax professional.