Global Engagement > Student Resources > International Student & Scholar Services > Travel


​​Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

Students preparing to travel to the U.S. for the winter 2021 term can download and print this letter​ ​confirming that DePaul University is operating a hybrid ​​​model offering a mixture of in-person and online classes for the winter 2021 term. ​

Preparing to Travel as an F-1 or J-1 Visa Holder 

  • The first rule to maintaining lawful immigration status is to ensure that your addresses and contact information are current in Campus Connection.  
  • Any changes to your address, telephone number or email address should be reported within 10 days of any change. 
  • Your updated information in Campus Connection will be sent to SEVIS by ISS. Always be sure that your information is up to date before you travel. 
  • Your addresses and contact information may be verified by CPB at the port of entry. Any discrepancies or outdated information could be considered a violation of your lawful status 
  • Please log into Campus Connection to make sure the following contact information is current: 
    • Home and mailing address in the Chicago area
    • Permanent address in your home country
    • Local phone number
    • E-mail address
    • Emergency contact information

Your passport should be valid for a minimum of six months beyond your date of entry to the U.S. Please also note that it is your responsibility to maintain a valid passport throughout your stay in the U.S.  

  • Your F-1 or J-1 visa stamp must be valid on the date you enter the U.S. 
  • Check the expiration date of your visa
  • Check the number of entries allowed on your visa (Multiple, 1, 2 etc.) 
  • If you changed your status to F-1 or J-1 while in the U.S. and travel abroad you will need to apply for a new visa before re-entry to the U.S. 
  • F-1 and J-1 students and scholars and F-2 and J-2 dependents need current travel signatures/endorsements from ISS prior to travel. Each travel endorsement is valid for one year. 
  • A travel signature/endorsement indicates that you are maintaining lawful F-1/F-2 or J-1/J-2 status at the time of signature. This is one of the items that CBP officers will use to establish your eligibility to re-enter the U.S.  Review the rules to maintaining lawful status before you travel. If you have any questions, please see your ISS advisor. 
  • Request your travel signature at least 3 business days prior to your planned departure. 
  • Request your travel signature by completing the ISS Travel Signature/Reprint form.
Be prepared to discuss your means of financial support, educational and immigration history when you arrive at U.S. ports of entry. The following documents help to establish your legitimate reason for re-entry to the U.S. More detailed information may be found at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website. 
  • Receipt for payment of SEVIS I-901 fee. You can find and print your receipt at the DHS website.
  • Recently issued financial support documents. 
  • ISS letter confirming lawful F-1 or J-1 status (request one week before your trip).  See the ISS Document Requests page for instructions. 
  • DePaul University Student ID card. 
  • DePaul Transcript showing your course history. Official transcripts may be requested through DePaul Central Records

Please see your ISS Advisor prior to travel if: 

  • Your country of citizenship is included in Travel Ban 3.0 or Travel Ban 4.0
  • You will travel after applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT). 
  • You will travel during your period of authorized Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • Your F-1 or J-1 visa stamp will expire before you return to the U.S. 
  • You will be outside the U.S. for more than 5 months,  you are currently in violation of your F-1 or J-1 visa status, or your SEVIS record has been terminated by ISS.
  • Your travel includes/relates to a study abroad program.  
  • You are planning a brief trip to Canada, Mexico or certain islands in the Caribbean and have an expired F-1 or J-1 visa stamp.  You may be eligible for Automatic Visa Revalidation. More information may be found at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website. 
Please verify that your I-94 admission record has been accurately updated with your most recent date of entry and your immigration status (F-1 or J-1 for D/S "duration of stay") by  U.S. Customs and Border Protection by logging into the CBP I-94 website. You may also print a copy of your most recent I-94 or travel history from the CBP site. Please see your ISS advisor if you observe an error or are unable to access your most recent I-94 record. 

Travel Restrictions


On January 31, 2020, the Trump administration expanded its travel ban to the following six additional countries: Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania (Travel Ban 4.0). The latest travel ban is effective February 21, 2020. 

A prior travel ban in effect since December 4, 2017 is currently applicable for citizens of the following countries: Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, Yemen and Somolia (Travel Ban 3.0). 

For more historical information on the various travel bans, click HERE

At this time, ISS recommends that nationals from any of the countries included in the travel bans, first consult with an ISS Advisor prior to making travel plans to leave the United States. 

While Travel Ban 4.0 does not affect F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant visa holders directly, Travel Ban 3.0 does have an effect (to varying degrees) on certain nationals. See chart below. 

If you are a national of one of the countries listed, see this simplified chart.  Please consult with an ISS Advisor before making plans to leave the United States.

Travel Ban 4.0 Nonimmigrants
F and J Visas
B1 and B2 Visas
Eritrea Allowed Allowed Allowed Suspended***
Kyrgyzstan Allowed Allowed Allowed Suspended***
Nigeria Allowed Allowed Allowed Suspended***
Myanmar Allowed Allowed Allowed Suspended***
Sudan Allowed Allowed Allowed Suspended^
Tanzania Allowed Allowed Allowed Suspended^
Travel Ban 3.0 Nonimmigrants
F and J Visas
B1 and B2 Visas
Iran Allowed* Suspended Suspended Suspended
Libya Allowed* Suspended Allowed* Suspended
North Korea Suspended Suspended Suspended Suspended
Somalia Allowed* Allowed* Allowed* Suspended
Syria Suspended Suspended Suspended Suspended
Venezuela Allowed* Suspended** Allowed* Allowed*
Yemen Allowed* Suspended Allowed* Suspended
 * Enhanced screenings and vetting requirements in effect.

 ** Applies only to officials of government agencies of Venezuela and their immediate families.
***Suspension does not apply to "special immigrants" whose eligiblity is based on having provided assistance to the U.S. government.

^Suspension applies only to Diversity Immigrants.

if you are not a national of the listed countries, you should still be aware of the following: 

    • Increased Screenings and Possible Travel Delays: Due to increased scrutiny at POEs (ports of entry) and expected increase of in-person visa interviews at U.S. consulates and embassies abroad, you should expect delays with both visa applications and when traveling to the U.S.

  • At this time, ISS recommends that nationals from countries included in Travel Bans 3.0 and 4.0 consult with an ISS Advisor before making travel plans to leave the United States. 

  • If you are not from one of the seven countries and plan to travel please make sure that all your travel documents are in order, including a valid entry visa (F-1 or J-1). We also recommend that you request and take with you a letter confirming that you are currently maintaining lawful status. For instructions on how to request your letter online, go here
As you know, it is always important to prevent any violations of your F-1 or J-1 status; please review rules for maintaining lawful F-1 or J-1 status.  In the current environment it becomes particularly important to also avoid activities that may seriously impact your immigration status or future visa applications (e.g. common misdemeanor or felony arrests, including theft, drunk driving, shoplifting and drug possession).

We are closely monitoring issues that impact our international student and scholar populations and will update this FAQ as necessary. If looking for information on the internet or social media, please be careful to consult dependable, trustworthy news sources.  More information about this travel ban can be found at the NAFSA Association for International Educators website. You many also contact your ISS advisor at any time. 

U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has implemented enhanced security procedures related to international travel carry-on items. There is no impact on domestic flights in the United States or flights departing the United States. Electronic devices will continue to be allowed on all flights originating from the United States. For a DHS fact sheet, please click HERE

International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) is open Monday-Friday, 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m. 

ISS advisors are available for walk-in advising every Wednesday, 11:00a.m. - 4:00p.m. You can also make individual appointments by calling 312-362-8376. ISS advisors will be able to provide you immigration and visa benefit advising and refer you to other university resources when needed. 

 ​​​​COVID-19​ and DePaul's phased return to campus