Global Engagement > Student Resources > International Student & Scholar Services > Sponsored Students

Sponsored Students at DePaul

Sponsored students are international students who study at DePaul on scholarships provided by home governments, international organizations, home country employers or other third-party organizations or institutions. J-1 exchange students are not considered sponsored students in this context. 

Requirements for Sponsored Students

Some sponsor requirements exceed those of U.S. immigration regulations (e.g. your sponsor may require you to enroll in more credits per academic term than are required by immigration regulations). Please refer to your sponsor financial agreement or contact your sponsoring organization for details about your individual requirements.

Resources for Sponsored Students

SACM Sponsored Students

DePaul welcomes students sponsored by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM).  For an introduction of SACM sponsorship requirements, please review this​SACM FQ2020 Presentation.pdf The below FAQs are designed to answer common SACM questions quickly. This information is subject to change.​

A registration hold has been placed on your DePaul student account for the duration of your studies at DePaul. This hold will be be placed on all students sponsored by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM). The hold, and the resulting need to see an academic advisor, are intended as ways to help you meet all SACM requirements as referenced in your Financial Guarantee. These include enrollment requirements as well as restrictions on changing your major, taking online/blended/hybrid courses and participating in study abroad. 

To register for and drop classes you will be required to see an academic advisor in your college office. If you do not know who your academic advisor is, please click HERE to find your advisor

You will need to complete the SACM Student Registraton Form when you meet with your Academic Advisor to enroll in classes each term. The form can be found HERE. Completed and signed forms must be submitted through your SACM student portal as part of your registration request each term.

You are limited to taking courses in the degree plan listed on your SACM Financial Guarantee. 
You must successfully complete the following minimum credit hours per term depending on your level of study. 
Undergraduate: 15 credit hours per term (Fall, Winter, Spring). 
Graduate: 12 credit hours per term (Fall, Winter, Spring). 
College of Law: 12 credit hours per semester (Fall, Spring). 
English Language Academy (ELA): All English Language Academy students must be enrolled in four courses per term (Fall, Winter, Spring). 

Summer enrollment is optional unless otherwise required by SACM.  

Written SACM approval is required before registering for any online/blended/hybrid courses. To start the request for an online/blended/hybrid course, please have your DePaul Academic Advisor complete the following form and the student will submit to SACM.

If the online/blended/hybrid course is not approved, the student will be financially responsible for that course. 

Written SACM approval is required before changing your major, listed on your SACM Financial Guarantee
Written SACM approval is required before registering for and participating in any Study Abroad program. 
SACM provides health insurance coverage for its scholarship recipients so you will not be automatically enrolled in the DePaul health insurance plan. If in the future your SACM sponsorship ends and you remain a DePaul student, you will be eligible to enroll in the DePaul (ISO) health insurance plan.
Yes. As a condition of your SACM sponsorship, SACM requires DePaul University to share your educational records with them. Please complete the Student Consent form accessible through this link, print, sign and scan it to By completing this form you are granting DePaul University permission to disclose your educational records to SACM. 

If you have a financial hold on your student account, please contact Student Financial Accounts at or Delores Shipp at