Global Engagement > Partnerships > Programs for Partner Institutions >
Urban Geography Consultancy
- In this interactive urban development virtual exchange project, students compared perspectives in urbanization and urban processes between Chicago (USA) and Groningen (The Netherlands). DePaul students were asked to complete two simultaneous videochats, three short essays, and note comments on work produced by the Dutch students. Students were divided into 8 groups. Most of the Dutch students have never been to Chicago before, and they were developing study plans for research projects that they will conduct during their Study Abroad visit to Chicago in April 2018. The DePaul students acted as local consultants on these projects, giving advice about good places to visit, what to see, and, of course, travel by CTA! The intention of this partnership was that DePaul students engage directly with the Dutch students to share knowledge of Chicago and its urban development.
Technology tools used:
- Email, Blackboard Collaboration
- To deepen students’ knowledge of urbanization and urban processes in a comparative perspective.
- To enhance students’ understanding of the research process, and how to devise, revise and develop a research proposal.
- To facilitate cross-cultural understanding and inter-cultural awareness.
- Final written reflection on similarities and differences between the two groups of students and their environments, as well as self-reflections. Detailed reflection prompts were provided to the students.
GLE students exploring Pilsen (Chicago, IL).