Global Engagement > Partnerships > Programs for Partner Institutions >
Multicultural Histories & Identities in Italy & USA
can cultural perspectives on the migrant experience by analyzing and comparing/contrasting the language, style, and tropes of select textual and visual sources in collaboration with a class in Brescia (Italy). The GLE activities lasted 3 weeks, preceded by 2 weeks of preparation activities (5 weeks total).
Technology tools used:
- D2L, VoiceThread, Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, GoogleDocs
- Learn to articulate more complex ideas in the target language, both orally and in writing (language acquisition).
- Broaden their knowledge of Italian history, culture, and literature from Fascism to the present (content).
- Refine their stylistic and rhetorical analysis skills to interpret journalistic, filmic, and literary sources (stylistic and rhetorical analysis).
- Analyze the topic of migration across Italian and American cultures through structured interactions with target culture students (intercultural knowledge and competence).
- A self-evaluation survey measuring the students’ perceived progress in the GLE experience in terms of, for example, the following values and skills: cultural self-awareness, knowledge of cultural view frameworks, empathy, verbal and non verbal communication skills, curiosity (these are the values and skills of the AAC&U Intercultural Knowledge and Competence Value Rubric).