Global Engagement > Partnerships > Programs for Partner Institutions >
Film Editing with an International Filmmaker
- In this collaborative film editing virtual exchange project, students from Chicago and Zagreb worked together on a feature-length film, by editing both picture and sound. After an introductory Zoom meeting,
students were paired up into nine teams and each team was given a portion of a
feature-length film to collaborate on. The collaboration consisted of both
picture editing and sound editing (dialogue, effects, and music). Two weeks
after the initial Zoom meeting, each team turned in an assembly of their
assigned scenes, after which the two professors scheduled individual team
meetings in order to give each team feedback on their scenes and advise them on
editing techniques. Two weeks later, each team submitted reedited scenes, which
were then assembled into a feature-length film. Everyone then watched the film
prior to a synchronous Zoom meeting with the entire class. During this class
meeting, the groups discussed the progress made and came up with a plan for
finishing the film and two weeks later, the final scenes were submitted, and
the final film was assembled. A discussion of the finished film was conducted
via a final Zoom meeting, and lastly, during finals week, DePaul students submitted
a 1-2-page individual reflection paper.
- Avid Media Composer
- Google Drive
- Students will be able to create a post-production schedule to ensure that all
tasks are completed on time.
- Students will be able to organize a film project in preparation for project sharing.
- Students will be able to share project files, as well as assets such as music and sound effects.
- Students will be able to collaborate on the editing of a short narrative film project.
- Students will be able to receive and give respectful criticism from and to international collaborators.
- Students will be able to understand the importance of communication via synchronous and asynchronous tools.
- Students will be able to be flexible in terms of workflows and timelines.
- Students were required to write a 1-2 page reflection essay
upon completion of the project