Global Engagement > Partnerships > Programs for Partner Institutions >
Cross-National Perspectives on Refugees Resettlement
- In this comparative virtual exchange
project, the professors, first, individually prepared their respective students
on the structure of the virtual exchange project. Students were paired up and assigned
readings and videos that discussed the experience of refugees and internally
displaced persons (IDPs) resettlement in Nigeria and the United States
respectively. They were required to read the materials, watch the videos, and
review the project page where all instructions for the project were given. Then
students engaged in discussions and worked on their group projects. They
participated actively and shared their perspectives on the prompts provided for
the class, as well as other related issues. Students exchanged pictures and
additional online-based, resources that further stimulated the discussions. At
the end of the project, students combined their findings into joined PowerPoint
presentations, highlighting the similarities and differences in policies and
practices that characterize refugee resettlement in the U.S. and IDPs welfare
in Nigeria, and jointly presented their projects during a final synchronous
- Google Slides
- Identify opportunities and challenges posed to humanitarian response and refugee resettlement in the U.S. and Nigeria.
- List strategies for fostering cultural sensitivity and communicating effectively with people from different cultures.
- Describe different approaches to responding to the growing refugee population in the US and Nigeria.
- Students completed a final reflection survey, as well as included their reflections in their final projects.