There are a number of services and university sustainability initiatives that make a difference in our Lincoln Park Campus residence halls.
- Almost all washing machines on campus are high-efficiency, front-loading units that are ENERGY STAR-rated.
- The Green Team sponsors the Laundry Sustainability Pledge each fall to raise awareness about how laundry impacts energy and water usage.
Motion Sensor Lighting
- Most of our community spaces, including lounges, kitchens and laundry rooms, have motion sensors to automatically turn off lights when not in use.
- Recycling totes, which promote easy transportation of recyclables to centralized recycling receptacles in the halls, are provided in each unit.
- Not sure which items are recyclable? This recycling poster has the information.
- DePaul, as a whole, had an average landfill diversion rate of over 46 percent in the past year, meaning of all the waste generated by the institution, almost half of it is diverted out of the landfill by recycling, composting and repurposing.
Furniture Donation Program
- The Department of Housing partners with local nonprofit organizations to donate our used residence hall furniture.
- In summer 2016, over 46 tons of furniture were donated or recycled, keeping the furniture out of landfills.
- Nonprofits interested in being added to our list to be contacted for future donations should email email@example.com.
Surplus With a Purpose (SWAP)
The SWAP program educates students on the ways in which upcycling their items can help reduce waste while also providing materials for others and helping sustain a Vincentian mission here at DePaul. Find out how to get involved with the event, which happens every June, by visiting the SWAP page.