Global Engagement > Student Resources > Global Fluency Certificate

Global Fluency Certificate (GFC)

  • ​You are the head of distribution trying to market a product to a new population but your traditional strategies aren’t working…
  • You are eager to sign on a new multi-national client but they insist on small talk before getting down to business…
  • You travel to a foreign country looking for suppliers but significant language barriers keep you from effectively communicating with possible vendors…
​These common scenarios happen every day, and your ability to problem solve, build relationships and adapt to challenges will set you apart!
“At DePaul, we continue to create new opportunities for students to become engaged protagonists of a globally interconnected world, from study abroad, to international service learning, to virtual exchange  and  intentionally internationalized curricula. With the launch of the new Global Fluency Certificate (GFC), undergraduate students will have the ability to showcase their strategic pursuit  of global learning opportunities, throughout their studies at DePaul. The certificate offers students a cohesive, curated way to grow as global citizens and the opportunity to clearly demonstrate their achievements in global learning to  perspective employers.” – GianMario Besana, Associate Provost of Global Engagement
Apply for the Global Fluency Certificate (GFC) to build skills that help employers:​
  • Build relationships with colleagues, clients and vendors;
  • Work within diverse teams;
  • Diffuse conflict;
  • Adapt to changing needs; and
  • Support a strong global reputation and brand.
​​Register for the Global Fluency Certificate here! For questions, contact​

What are the requirements for GFC?

In order to receive the Global Fluency Certificate, students will need to meet the following requirements: 
  1. Foreign Language Proficiency: Students must demonstrate beginning proficiency in a language other than English. This requirement can be satisfied by successfully completing with a C or better language courses up to 103 (i.e. one year of a foreign language) or by taking an assessment test, administered by the Modern Language Department. 
  2. Global Experiential Learning: Students must complete at least one global experiential learning opportunity. This requirement can be satisfied by completing one of the following:
    1. A short or term-long faculty led study abroad program​​. Both DePaul managed and non-DePaul programs qualify.
    2. A course with a Global Learning Experience (GLE) project. This must be officially recognized GLE course, through the office of Global Engagement.
    3. An international Campus Ministry service trip.
    4. A Global Brigades program.
    5. An international internship.
  3. Global Learning Courses: Students must take and pass at least 4 (four) Global Learning tagged courses. Courses that satisfy either requirement 1 or 2 above cannot count for this requirement. At least 2 (two) of these courses must not be able to satisfy requirements of the student's major. 
  4. Grade Point Average: Students must maintain a DePaul GPA of 2.67 or better. 

How do I register for the GFC?

Pleas​e register by completing the form here​. You will be contacted by​ wi​thin 1 (one) week when the GFC is added to your program plan. 

I already speak another language other than English. How do I take an assessment test?

​To take an assessment test, please follow the instructions listed here​. Once completed, please contact​​ with your student ID number to let them know so the office can mark this requirement as complete or inform you if you did not meet the minimum requirements. 

GFC requires 4 (four) GL-tagged courses. How come only 2 (two) GL-tagged courses can come from my major but 2 (two) must come from outside my major?

​The intention behind 2 (two)​ GL-tagged courses outside of your major is to encourage students to have a holistic education, as well as to not unfairly advantage students who naturally already have an international courseload due to their major. ​

How do I find an international internship?

At this time, ​we are only able to accept international internships through your study abroad program or through UIP Career Course​s. 

Does the GFC appear on my transcripts?

Yes. ​The certificate will be formally awarded by the student’s home college and will appear on the student’s official transcript.​​

How do I check on my progress against the requirements for GFC?

Yo​u will be able to see your progress on your Degree Progress Report (DPR) via Campus Connect. You may also contact​ with your student ID number to check on progress. 

Who do I contact if I have questions about GFC?

For more information or if you have questions, please contact​.