When an externally funded grant budget includes an amount for tuition reimbursement, this is reflected in the category 410G: Financial Aid.
The following procedure must be completed by the Principal Investigator so that tuition reimbursement is correctly assigned to a restricted grant:
- Confirm that a budget category exists for Financial Aid within the grant.
- E-mail the Office of Financial Accounting at firstname.lastname@example.org and request an Item Type for tuition awards–which will be charged to the grant. Be ready to provide all grant chartfield information to Financial Accounting.
- When the item type has been created, the Financial Accounting will notify the Principal Investigator and provide the Item Type Number.
- To process an award authorization for individual students, the Office of Financial Aid has made an online award form available to those who request access and complete a brief training session.
Contact email@example.com to request the access to this form.
- When completing the online award authorization form, have the following requested information ready:
- Account is always 414300.
- Item Type is the number the PI received from Financial Accounting.
- Enter the name and amount to be received by quarter for each student receiving tuition reimbursement under the grant.
After The Award Authorization Has Been Submitted
The Principal Investigator should review the Mobius Reports regularly to ensure that tuition payments are indeed being deducted from the grant account. If an academic quarter passes without the appearance of such an anticipated expense, the Principal Investigator should notify the Office of Financial Aid or ORS as soon as possible.