DePaul University Research Services > Research Protections > Institutional Review Board (IRB) >
Resources & Education
Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP)
This federal agency oversees all registered Institutional Review Boards (IRBs).
- OHRP Home Page
- 45 CFR 46 Federal regulations governing human subject research
- Categories of Research That May be Reviewed by the IRB Through Expedited Review
- OHRP Guidance on topics related to Human subject research. Topics include informed consent, vulnerable populations, institutional issues, protocol review, biological material and data.
- OHRP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on specific topics related to human subject research. Topics include 45 CFR 46, the assurance process, children in research, the consent process, exempt research, research with prisoners, investigator responsibilities, and quality improvement activities.
- OHRP Check lists and Decisions Trees - Provides decision trees for determining whether your project or activity is research, involves human subjects, meets the criteria for exemption, expedited, or full review, and which exempt or expedited categories to which your research belongs:
- OHRP IRB Guidebook - This resource is now archived on the OHRP website, but is still useful for explaining key concepts and how to apply the federal regulations.
Ethical Codes and Standards
Education & Training Resources
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Online Training - CITI provides online educational training in Human subject research, Conflict of Interest, Good Clinical Practice, HIPAA, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
- Public Responsibility in Medicine & Research (PRIM&R) - PRIM&R is a national organization that holds annual conferences, regional education programs, and offers online educational opportunities related to human subject research. PRIM&R also offers an opportunity to obtain certification as an IRB professional
- PowerPoint presentations ( in four parts) from the DePaul Office of
Research Services, Human Subjects Research Review Process at DePaul and
- OHRP Division of Education and Development (DED) - Training Videos, webinars, and other materials
- PowerPoint Presentation on Research with Adults with Diminished Capacity to Provide Consent - Susan Loess-Perez, Office of Research Services