DePaul University Research Services > Award Management > Procurement & Travel > Domestic Travel

Domestic Travel

​The process of traveling under grant funds requires three straightforward steps to ensure compliance with both Sponsor and DePaul regulations and a timely and accurate reimbursement of expenses incurred.

1. Ensure Travel Budget Exists in Grant Account

Before any grant funded travel is undertaken, there must be adequate funds budgeted in the 552G category of the grant account. Please refer to your BlueSky grant report.

Any travel undertaken must be allocable to the grant project.

Individuals to be reimbursed for travel who are not DePaul staff or students should be considered consultants and are to be paid according to the processes described in the consultant page (i.e. submission of invoice with itemized and supported expenses).

2. Incur Travel Expenses

Once the PI has confirmed adequate travel funds budgeted, the individuals traveling may incur expenses.

Some things to keep in mind:

  • Federal grants will not cover the cost of alcohol with meals during travel.
  • Business-class travel is normally not allowed under externally-funded grants.
  • Keep all receipts.

3. For Reimbursement Complete and Submit an Expense Report Through BlueSky

Upon return from travel, the individual should prepare an Employee Expense report available through BlueSky, as soon as possible (no later than 90 days after the return).

The report should include an itemization of the expenses related to the trip, including air ticket and accommodation, with original receipts attached.

Any personal or non-grant related components (i.e. additional nights of accommodation, subsequent air travel) of the trip should be omitted from the report. If there are additional reimbursable items please submit them on a separate report.

The report will route through the appropriate approval chain within BlueSky.

Detailed walk through instructions for completing the Expense Report can be found by using the red BlueSky Help tool within the system.​