Meet Me at the Mission: Vincentian Heritage Initiative
is an invitation for DePaul undergraduate students to explore what it means to be a Vincentian leader and how to use their gifts and passions to respond to the needs of the world. The university’s strategic plan Grounded in Mission: The Plan for DePaul 2024
invites students “to assume responsibility for advancing the mission into the future.” The program is customizable and flexible, open to any student, any major, and any year.
To join the program and to RSVP to upcoming events, visit the Division of Mission and Ministry OrgSync Portal.
Winter Quarter Events
For questions or more information contact Joyana Dvorak at firstname.lastname@example.org, 773.325.7569 or visit her in LPC Student Center 311.
Meet Me at the Mission Program Pillars: The program is rooted in four pillars.
- History & Living Legacy: Learn stories of the history and legacy of Vincent de Paul and other founding Vincentian family members. Apply the Vincentian wisdom and values to your own life experiences.
- Spirituality: Get in touch with what brings you alive and sustains you to answer the Vincentian question "What must be done?" Delve deeper into our founders’ spiritual way rooted in the Catholic tradition and service. Explore Vincentian spirituality and how to approach the world in a reflective, aware, intentional Vincentian way.
- Service & Systemic Change: Learn about the Vincentian way of listening to the dignity of every human story. Take time to reflect on your experiences of service and explore our Vincentian commitment to systemic change. Learn about the principles of Catholic Social Teaching and discover your role as a Vincentian in creating another world.
- Leadership: Explore the stories of Vincent and Louise that formed them to be leaders. You will be invited to relate their approach to your own leadership journey. As a Vincentian leader, learn how and when to ask the Vincentian question “What must be done?” to respond to the needs of our world.
Step 2: Attend Meet Me at the Mission programming
- A variety of trainings, workshops, and events will be offered each quarter around the 4 main pillars.
- Some of these workshops will be embedded into already established student programming and trainings.
- Many events will be peer facilitated with current DePaul students sharing their lived, Vincentian experience.
Benefits of Completion
- Certificate of completion for your resume and portfolio
- Qualify to apply for the Vincentian Heritage Tour to France after completing 3 pillars. Students may apply for the VHT their sophomore, junior or senior year at DePaul.
- Name entered into quarterly raffle for $75 Barnes & Noble book gift certificate.
- Coveted ceremonial cord publicly recognizing commitment to the Vincentian mission to be worn at your commencement ceremony.
- Deepened understanding of the Vincentian mission and values.
- Reflective space to discover your Vincentian vocation, build community and grow spiritually.
- Opportunity to apply to be a peer facilitator of future workshops to further enhance your Vincentian voice and leadership skills.
Other Qualifying Experiences
Beyond the quarterly Meet Me at the Mission events, the following on-going experiences also count towards completion of the different pillars in the program. If you have had another significant experience that has shaped you as a Vincentian leader in a meaningful way contact Joyana Dvorak to see if it qualifies for one of the pillars.
- CTH 290: The Life & Times of Vincent DePaul (History)
- CTH 247: Vincentian Leaders (Leadership)
The following offices and programs integrate Meet Me at the Mission into their on-going leadership development programs:
VIA Service Immersion Leader (Service & Leadership)
DCSA Coordinator (Service & Leadership)
DePaul Leadership Scholars (DELS will complete through their scholarship experiences)
Chicago Quarter Mentors (Leadership)*
Orientation Leaders (Leadership)*
Jumpstart: Steans Center*
McCormick Community Internship: Steans Center
Community Partners Internship: Steans Center
Health Educator Action Team: Office of Health, Wellness & Promotion
STARS Peer Mentors
OMSS First Year Scholars
OMSS Edge Team
OMSS Second Year Scholars
Catholic Campus Ministry (CCM) Student Leaders
Campus Recreation Student Workers*
Admissions EDGE Team
Chicago Peace Makers
Student Government Association
Honors Student Government
*Must attend the Mission and Ministry session during your orientation/training to receive credit for this pillar.
VIA Service Immersion participant (Service)
Vincentian Lay Missionaries (Service)