Student Centers > About
The Student Centers of DePaul University are the centers of community activity.
The Student Centers are looked to as DePaul's gathering places by providing amenities and services to promote out-of-classroom interaction between students, faculty and staff. We become the Main Street of DePaul inviting the community into our welcoming and comfortable environments.
Students are free to gather with others, indulge in a variety of dining experiences, meet new friends, and join others through a vast number of student groups and gathering places in the facilities.
With outstanding facilities and services for events, programs, and dining services needs, the Student Centers facilitate cultural, social, and educational programs.
This support creates a partnership with student organizations, departments and other university community members, which upholds the holistic approach to the DePaul educational mission.
The Stuart Center, previously called the University Center, was the student union for the Lincoln Park campus. The building was built in 1971 and operated until the end of 2001 when it was demolished.
The new Lincoln Park Student Center was completed in December 2001 and was opened to the public in January 2002. The new student center was built on the former site of Alumni Hall, previously the athletic center for DePaul University, which had been built in 1956 and was razed in the summer of 2000 to make way for the new student union.
The Cortelyou Commons building was built in 1929 for the McCormick Theological Seminary and was used as their dining hall. In 1976, when the seminary left Lincoln Park, DePaul University purchased the Commons. The Cortelyou Commons is now used for a wide variety of events, including lectures, meetings, and weddings.