International Admission > Apply to DePaul > Types of Admission > Conditional Admission
DePaul University offers conditional admission to qualified applicants in select disciplines. Conditional admission may be offered to students who have been educated in a language other than English and whose academic record qualifies them for admission, but whose level of English proficiency, as measured by either the IELTS or TOEFL, is lower than admission requirements.
If you are conditionally admitted, you will attend DePaul's
English Language Academy (ELA) to study English. ELA is a full-time intensive academic language program focused on the language and academic skills used in degree programs. Students that earn the
University Bridge Certificate meet the English proficiency requirement for DePaul degree programs.
You can read more below about conditional admission based on applicant type below.
As an international student, you may request to be considered for conditional admission in the test information section of the DePaul freshman or transfer online application.
In order to be conditionally admitted, you must apply and meet all international admission requirements, and meet the minimum English proficiency requirement, which can be found by clicking below.
-80 on the IBT TOEFL with no subsection lower than 17-6.5 on the IELTS
-115 on the Duolingo English Test
Students that earn the University Bridge Certificate meet the English proficiency requirement for DePaul degree programs.
Graduate departments may offer conditional admission if the applicant meets all graduate college requirements and meets the minimum English proficiency requirement, which can be found by clicking below.
- 80 on the IBT TOEFL (miniumum 17 on each section) - 6.5 on the IELTS
- 115 on the Duolingo English Test
- University Bridge Certificate- 80 on the iBT TOEFL (minimum 17 on each section)- 550 on the PBT TOEFL- 6.5 on the IELTS
- 80 on the IBT TOEFL (minimum 17 on each section)
- 6.5 on the IELTS
- 115 or higher on the Duolingo English Test
-53 on the Pearson Test of English (PTE)
No English test score required
- 96 on the TOEFL OR 7.0 on IELTS OR 125 on the Duolingo English Test for most programs
- 80 on the IBT TOEFL (minimum 17 on each section) OR 6.5 on the IELTS or 115 on the Duolingo English Test for MS in Applied Mathematics and MS in Applied Statistics and MS Pure Mathematics
- 80-95 on the IBT TOEFL OR 6.5 on the IELTS or 115 on the Duolingo English Test
MS Applied Mathematics, MS Applied Statistics, MS Pure Mathematics, MS Mathematics for Teaching, and MS Mathematics Education:
- No English test score required
- 80-95 on the IBT TOEFL- 6.5 on the IELTS - 115 on the Duolingo English Test
No, apply to your degree program and request conditional admission.
No, you only pay DePaul's application fee (if it applies).
If you are applying for an UNDERGRADUATE course: No, you do not need to submit an English proficiency test score.
If you are applying for a GRADUATE course: Yes, you must submit the minimum conditional admission requirements as listed in the charts above.
Yes, international transfer students may request conditional admission on the DePaul online transfer application in the test information section.
Typically, students that are offered conditional admission study less than one year in the English Language Academy. Students in ELA study until English proficiency is met by completing ELA's University Bridge Level. Specific English language proficiency requirements by program are listed in the charts above.
You will not be allowed to register for academic courses until the English proficiency requirement is met, except for conditionally admitted students for Music.
ELA is located on DePaul's Loop Campus.