International Admission > Student Visas > Visa Information

Visa Information

Individuals who come to the United States to study must apply for a student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country.

To apply for a student visa, you must first obtain a: 

  • Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status (also known as a SEVIS I-20 Form


  • Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status (also known as a SEVIS DS-2019 Form)

In order to obtain a SEVIS I-20 Form or a SEVIS DS-2019 Form, you will need to be admitted to a program of study and submit bank documents showing you have the financial ability to cover your educational and living expenses. Learn more about requesting an I-20 form from DePaul University.

Once you have received a SEVIS I-20 Form or a SEVIS DS-2019 Form from DePaul, you will need to make an appointment with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate​ located in your home country.

Please make sure to apply for your visa as early as possible. Due to recent changes to visa processing and special clearances needed for some applicants, you are strongly encouraged to make your visa application appointment as early as possible.

SEVIS I-901 Fee

SEVIS I-901 Fee Increase: On May 23, 2019 the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) published a final rule to adjust the SEVIS I-901 fee​. The fee increase will take effect on June 24, 2019 

Each student or exchange scholar issued an initial Form I-20 or DS-2019 must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before applying for a visa. For more information, please see the following resources:

Required Documents

You MUST provide the following documents to apply for your student visa:

  • A SEVIS I-20 Form (F-1) or a SEVIS DS-2019 Form (J-1) issued by DePaul University: Make sure that you provide both pages of the forms and check to see that the form is signed by you and the appropriate school official in the appropriate places.
  • Proof of Adequate Financial Support: Bank documents showing you or your sponsor has the financial ability to cover your educational and living expenses during the period of your studies.
  • Non immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page. Go to:​
  • Passport: Valid for at least six months after your intended date of entry into the United States.
  • Photograph: One photograph in the format explained in the photo requirements.
  • Processing Fee: You must present proof of payment in the form of a receipt to show that you paid all applicable fees. Applicable fees may include the following: 
  • For applicable fees, contact a U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you. For current information on fees (visa issuance and/or visa application) that the U.S. charges for non-immigrant visas (F-1/F-2, J-1/J-2), you may refer to the Visa Reciprocity and Country Documents Finder.

Additional Resources

For additional information regarding the visa application process, please read the following handouts: