International Admission > Admitted Students > Request I-20

Request I-20

​​​​ ​The admitting department will notify applicants of their acceptance to the university. Students will then complete the online I-20 request process at (accessible to admitted students only). Completed requests and all other required documentation should be uploaded electronically, mailed, faxed or dropped off to the admitting department at DePaul.

*For undergraduate students ONLY*:  If you received your admit packet, then you will be required to pay for the shipping costs to obtain your I-20 Form using eShipGlobal​​.  International Admission will provide detailed instructions once your I-20 Form is issued. 

Document Checklist

Below is a checklist of documents needed by DePaul to issue your I-20. 

Please note: Required documents vary by student and the online I-20 request process will provide the exact requirements for your student type and situation.

  • Before an I-20 can be issued, you must submit the following:
    • Bank statements: Evidence of adequate funding to meet the estimated tuition and living expenses for your first year of study. Please submit bank statements, issued within the last six months, listed in the form of savings, or another bank account from which funds can easily be withdrawn.
    • Translations must accompany any affidavits or bank statements issued in a language other than English.
    • Affidavit of Support: Your sponsor must complete a Financial Affidavit of Support​. If you have more than one sponsor, each sponsor should fill out a separate form. If you sponsor yourself, you do not need to fill out the Affidavit of Support.
    • Copy of the identification page in your passport.
  • If you are currently attending a U.S. school on an F1 visa and are applying for a Transfer I-20, please submit the following additional items:
    • Transfer release form: Please complete the top section of the transfer release form, and have the bottom section completed by the International Student Advisor at your current school.
    • Copy of page 1 and 2 of your current school’s I-20 form.
    • Copy of your most recent I-94*: Print a copy of your online electronic I-94.
  • If you are currently in the U.S. on a visa other than F1 and wish to change your visa while in the U.S. without traveling back to your country, please submit the following additional items:
    • Copy of your current visa.
    • Copy of your most recent I-94*: Print a copy of your online electronic I-94.

  • *Note: Paper I-94 cards: If you entered the US prior to May 1, 2013 you may have a paper I-94 card stapled in your passport. Please submit copies of both sides of your paper I-94 if applicable. 
  • If you are bringing dependents (spouse and/or children), please submit the following additional documents:
    • Copy of dependent’s biographical page from passport.
    • Proof of relationship:
      • If dependent is your spouse (husband or wife), you must submit a copy of your marriage certificate with an official English language translation if applicable.
      • If the dependent is your child, you must submit the child’s birth certificate with an official English language translation if applicable.
    • Additional funds for dependent expenses: $5,000 for the first dependent; $4,000 for each additional dependent.

Downloadable Forms