ANNOUNCEMENT: The University Vehicle, Driver and Travel Safety Policy has been updated as of 4/11/2019. Please click here for a detailed description of changes and review the updated policy.
Per the University Vehicle, Driver and Travel Safety Policy, driver certification is required for all members of the University community who use University owned vehicles (including those subject to a long-term lease), or any vehicle to transport students for purposes related to University business.
Please see Global Engagement's Travel Registration page for additional requirements which may apply to student travel. When travel waivers are required, the University unit that is coordinating the activity is responsible for developing appropriate procedures to distribute, collect and maintain these waivers. Please do not send travel waivers to EHS.
The following requirements must be met to become a certified driver:
Have a valid driver's license.
- Have no more than 2 at-fault accidents/violations within the last 3 years.
- Have no DUI or DWI convictions within the last 5 years or multiple DUI/DWI violations.
- Be at least 18 years old. Note: Drivers who wish to utilize vans must be at least 21 years old.
- Fill out a Motor Vehicle Request (MVR) Form.
- Register and complete the United Educators Driver Safety Training. You will need to enter your first and last name as well as email address. Please note: If you already have a UE account for Management Standards Training, you do not need to register again. EHS will enroll you in the driver safety course which will appear alongside the MST courses.
- You will be sent an email (from email@example.com, please check your spam if you do not see anything) with a temporary password and instructions for logging into the training.
- Follow the instructions on the United Educators website to complete the Driver Safety Training. The passenger van section is mandatory.
- When you have completed the MVR Form and Driver Safety Training, you will receive an email with further instructions from DePaulUniversity@geninfo.com. You will need to consent and provide your information for the driver record check.
- Once you have completed these steps, you will be notified via email of your certification status within 4-5 business days.
How long does the driver certification last?
For students, the certification lasts for 1 year. For staff and faculty, it lasts for 3 years. All student employees are considered students for the purposes of the certification.
Should I purchase insurance for rental vehicles?
No. Vehicles rented on University business within the United States and Canada are insured by DePaul. You should decline any insurance coverage offered by the rental company. A copy of DePaul's insurance card may be requested from EHS
Still Have Questions?
Please contact Katie Abma (773) 325-8985