Environmental Health & Safety > Safety Training > Driver Certification

Driver Certification

The University Vehicle, Driver and Travel Safety policy​ was updated on 2/13/2023.​​

Changes include requiring routine drivers of rental vehicles to become certified, allowing volunteers to become certified, and establishing a minimum age of 21 for drivers who wish to transport minor children.

Check Global Engagement's Travel Registration page for additional requirements which may apply to student travel. When travel waivers are required, the University unit that is coordinating the activity is responsible for developing appropriate procedures to distribute, collect and maintain these waivers. Please do not send travel waivers to EHS.

Driver Requirements​​​​​​​​

The following requirements must be met to become a certified driver:

  • Have and have held a driver’s license that is valid in the state of Illinois for a minimum of two years.​
    • Have no more than two at-fault accidents/violations within the last three years.
    • Have no DUI or DWI convictions within the last five years or multiple DUI/DWI violations.
    • Be at least 18 years old. Drivers who wish to operate a Full-size Van or transport minor children must be at least 21 years old.​

    **Attention CA, NH, PA, WA & International License Holders**​

    California & New Hampshire license holders: Do not complete the HireRight process. You will need to provide EHS with an electronic copy of your driving record (not the official document) which you can access using the links below. Your department will need to reimburse you for the cost. PDFs or screenshots are acceptable. Please send the record only to ehsoffice@depaul.edu.

    Pennsylvania & Washington license holders: These states require the completion of additional forms to access driving records. Please allow extra time for processing.

    International license holders:​ Do not complete the HireRight process. You will need to provide EHS with an electronic copy of your driving record from the country your license was issued in. Processes vary by country. ​Please send the record only to ehsoffice@depaul.edu.

    Certification Process​:​

    1. Fill out a Driver Certification Request Form​.
    2. Register in the United Educators Learning Portal. You will need to enter your first and last name and email address. Please note: If you're recertifying, you already have an account and can just reset your password.
    3. After registering, you will be sent an email (from noreply-learningportal@ue.com, check your spam if needed) with a temporary password.
    4. Once logged in, complete the Driver Safety Fundamentals course.
    5. If you will drive a Full-Size Van, you must also complete the Passenger Van Safety course. ​(Full-Size Van is a vehicle with a maximum seating capacity of ten or more passengers if all seating is installed. Even if the passenger carrying capacity is limited because seats have been removed or the vehicle has been converted to carry cargo, such a vehicle is considered a full-size van due to the physical characteristics that impact such a vehicle’s driving behavior and handling.)
    6. ​The  system will automatically generate a Certificate of Course Completion for each course you take. You do not need to save or send these to EHS.
    7. When you have completed the Driver Certification Request Form and all required training, you will receive an email from noreply@hireright.com with instructions for completing a driver record check. This email is not sent automatically upon completing training - please allow at least 48 hours to receive it. You will need to consent to and provide your information for the record check through HireRight's website.
    8. Once you have completed these steps, you will be notified via email of your certification status within 4-5 business days. You are not certified until you receive this email.​


    For students, the certification lasts for 1 year.  For staff and faculty, it lasts for 3 years. All student employees are considered students for the purposes of the certification.

    No. You will receive an email from ehsoffice@depaul.edu letting you know your certification status. 

    No. Vehicles rented on University business within the United States and Canada are insured by DePaul. You should decline any insurance coverage offered by the rental company. A copy of DePaul's insurance card may be requested from EHS.

    Still Have Questions?​​​

    Please contact Katie Abma  (773) 325-8985​​​​