DePaul University Student Financial Accounts > FAQ > Refunds


Why did I receive a refund?

If you received a refund, you may have an overpayment on your tuition account or excess financial aid.

Electronic deposit of student refunds into a designated checking or savings account is the university's preferred refund method. You can provide your current banking information within Campus Connect​.

Refunds resulting from a credit card payment will be issued back to the credit card.​​

How do I request my refund?

Credit balances that are generated by the application of federal student aid or state financial aid are refunded within 14 days. If you have a credit balance resulting from another form of payment, you may call DePaul Central at (312) 362-8610 or email Student Accounts at​

How are refunds issued?

The ways in which you may elect to receive your refund are listed below. You may change your payment option at any time with written notice to

Refund Options:
  • By direct deposit into an existing financial account of your choice.
  • By direct deposit into a newly created financial account of your choice. Although it is not necessary to receive your refund, you may elect to participate in student banking services offered to DePaul students by PNC Bank. (Click here for more information.)
  • By refunding the credit card you used to make an initial payment.
  • By contacting DePaul Central for assistance if you are unable to use any of the above options.

To Register for Direct Deposit:
You may sign up for direct deposit by going to the Student Center in Campus Connect and clicking "Account Inquiry." From there, select the "Banking Information" tab and you will be able to designate a savings or checking account for your existing and future refunds.

Click here to view step-by-step instructions.​

Will a refund be sent to me automatically after I drop a course before the 100 percent drop date?

If your account was paid using federal or state financial aid (in whole or in part) and you drop a course, your account may be reviewed to determine your revised eligibility and your credit balance refund, if any, will be issued within 14 days.

If your entire account balance was paid in full through your personal payment, you would need to contact a Student Accounts representative at (312) 362-8610 to request a refund, otherwise a refund will be sent to you at the end of the term if you are still eligible to receive the refund.​​

What if I lose my refund check or the check does not reach me?

A stop payment may be placed on the check two weeks after the issued date. You may contact the student accounts office if you have not received your check from the date of issue. If the check has not been cashed, a replacement check will be issued. Due to possibilities of lost checks or mail delay, we strongly encourage you to sign up for direct deposit.​​

When are financial aid refunds available?

Credit balances that are generated by the application of federal student aid or state financial aid are refunded within 14 days.​

How would I be eligible for a financial aid refund?

If your financial aid and/or payments exceed your cost, you may be eligible for a refund.​

Can I pick up my refund in person?

All refund checks are mailed, so we strongly encourage you to sign up for Direct Deposit​ to ensure quicker receipt of your funds.​