Applicants for membership must have a tenured appointment in one of the University’s colleges or schools and the rank of associate or full professor at the time of application, and must submit the following:
I. A letter of application (three pages maximum, single spaced) that addresses the following;
- Evidence of a commitment to the mission of the Society of Vincent de Paul Professors;
- Demonstrated commitment to current Society initiatives (see "Activities of the Society" above) or new initiatives to develop;
- Evidence of past projects or activities that are relevant to the mission of the Society;
- Active leadership that directly contributes to the enhancement of the University's missions and values. This can include service contributions at all levels of the University as well as professional and community service;
- Consistently outstanding classroom teaching across a broad base of students;
- Recognized or outstanding scholarly or artistic achievements;
- How being a member of the Society will enhance the applicant's teaching and scholarship (Note: Letters of application that were used for promotion and tenure will not be reviewed);
- A statement about your ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the Society's commitment to racial and cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
II. A current c.v.
III. Evidence of teaching excellence. Applicants must include:
- A list of courses taught over the past three years;
- Three syllabi and three corresponding OTE's (include both statistical pages/graphs and student responses) for courses taught during the past three years;
- Three letters of recommendation (maximum). One letter must be from the applicant's Dean. Letters of recommendation written by former or current members of the Society will not be accepted. All letters should address the applicant's qualifications for admission into the Society, including their teaching, scholarship, and service contributions at DePaul. Letters may also address the applicant's service contributions to their profession and community. Letters that were written for promotion and tenure will not be reviewed. Letters must not exceed two pages and must be sent to email@example.com.
- Applicants must submit their materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Membership applications will be evaluated based on the strength of the application to meet or exceed the criteria listed above. The SVdPP Membership Committee will not reviewed applications that fail to adhere to the application guidelines described above. The Society is committed to building and maintaining a diverse membership and adhering to the principles that promote inclusive practices. The Society encourages applications from individuals who can contribute to the diversity of the Society (encompassing a wide range of characteristics including, race, ethnicity, cultural or socioeconomic background, religion, sex, gender, disability, etc) whose work aligns closely with the mission of the Society, and who convey a strong mission of how they would contribute to that mission. Strong candidates will have - in addition to outstanding teaching, scholarship or artistic contributions, service, and leadership - a demonstrated record of commitment to building a diverse educational environment.
The Committee will keep applications "live" on file for two years. Applicants who choose to re-apply for admission into the Society must indicate this in an email to the SVdPP Membership Committee Chair. They are not required to submit their materials within the two-year window; however, applicants may choose to update their application with a revised c.v. and/or new examples of teaching excellence, letters of recommendation, etc.
Application Process Timeline
- Applicants must submit their application materials to email@example.com by February 19, 2018.
- All letters of recommendation must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 19, 2018.
- Confirmation of receipt of applications and letters of recommendation will be
sent by February 26, 2018.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Membership Committee and the full Society.
- The full Society will conduct a ballot vote on applicant's materials by the end of May. Applicants will be notified shortly after.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Professor Alexandra Murphy, 2017-2018 Membership Committee Chair, at email@example.com .