University Marketing and Communications > Facts & Stats > The Theatre School
The Theatre School was founded as the Goodman School of Drama in 1925 and is the Midwest's oldest theatre training conservatory. Known for its highly structured program, the school has stood as a standard of excellence in American professional theatre training for more than 90 years.
John Culbert was appointed dean of The Theatre School in July 2001. He was formerly the school's associate dean and longtime head of the Lighting Design Program. Culbert is a Joseph Jefferson Award-winning designer, United Scenic Artists of America member and resident artist at Chicago's Court Theatre.
His projects have included set design for Court Theatre's "Man of La Mancha" and lighting design for the Goodman Theatre's "Mirror of the Invisible World," among others. Culbert has also designed scenery and/or lighting for the Boston Lyric Opera, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, Berkeley Rep, Shakespeare Theatre, McCarter Theatre and Bristol Riverside Theatre. John also redesigned the light-and-water show for Chicago's world-famous Buckingham Fountain.
Visit the Theatre School’s website »