UCS's practicum offers intensive training in time-limited individual and group psychotherapy. Students can expect to gain experience in crisis intervention, assessment and referral, training of university staff and community outreach, which includes consultation/liaison opportunities and psycho-educational workshops. Students choose to apply to either the Clinical Emphasis Position (24 hours a week) or the Outreach/Consultation Emphasis Position (24 hours a week).
Each student will receive a minimum of one and a half hours of individual supervision and one hour of group supervision per week. Practicum students are supervised by a Licensed Clinical Psychologist (or by other center professional staff under the supervision of a licensed psychologist). UCS has ten senior staff clinicians, including 8 licensed psychologists and a full-time, board certified psychiatrist. The practicum begins in late August and continues through mid June. University Counseling Services abides by ACEPT Guidelines.
- Eligible students will have completed at least
one full year of practicum training in psychotherapy
- 24 hours per week (for each emphasis area),
attendance on Wednesday from 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- One day with evening hours (i.e., until 7 p.m.)
- Audiotaping or videotaping of therapy sessions is
- Late applications will not be accepted (See
Informational Sheet below for deadlines.)
- Externs may be required to attend practicum 4 days per week at particular times of the year, subject to office availability.
- Extern quarterly schedules may be subject to change based on UCS needs.
How To Apply for the 2017-18 Training Year
All application materials are to be submitted electronically
to the e-mail address provided in the confirmation e-mail you will
receive after completing the application form. Letters of reference may
be submitted by you directly or by the writer.
The application period for the 2017-18 academic year will opens on Friday, February 3, 2017 at 9:00 AM and closes on Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM.
If you are a student and choose to apply, you must complete this Application Information Form.
After completing the form, you will be sent a confirmation e-mail with further instructions about how to submit the required materials. A completed application will consist of:
- your letter of intent/cover letter
- your CV
- three letters of reference (at least one of which should be from a therapy supervisor)
- a completed application information form
Please see the Advanced Therapy Practicum Information Sheet for more information about the practicum requirements.