What is the Chicago Quarter?
Offered during the autumn quarter, Chicago Quarter courses
acquaint first-year students at DePaul with the metropolitan community, its
neighborhoods, cultures, people, institutions, organizations and issues. It is
through these classes that students make first contact with both the
university's urban identity and its Vincentian mission. Students also learn
about university life, resources, and how to be a successful student. This
learning is accomplished through a variety of means, but particularly through
first-hand observation, participation, personal discovery, reflection,
discussion, and guest lectures.
Each of the over 100 classes are led by a teaching team
consisting of a faculty instructor, a staff professional and a Chicago Quarter
What is a staff
The teaching teams are an
essential part of the Chicago Quarter Program and allow new students to build
critical relationships and connections with the university community as they
transition to DePaul. Faculty lead the academic component of the course
focusing on a specific-Chicago related topic. Chicago Quarter Mentors, in
partnership with the assigned Staff Professional, plan and deliver the Common
Hour component of the Chicago Quarter course. Additionally, staff
professionals provide Chicago Quarter Mentors with ongoing guidance, feedback,
and formally evaluate (in collaboration with faculty) mentor performance.
All members of the team work collaboratively to coordinate and plan the
overall course curriculum and lead new students through excursions in the city
What qualifies me to be a staff professional?
To be a staff professional, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Staff member or graduate student at DePaul
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree
- Interest in mentoring and guiding developing and advanced student leaders.
- Ability to assist in planning and co-leading Common Hour lesson plans.
- Commitment to collaboration between faculty, students, and staff.
- Knowledge and familiarity of University resources and ability to seek out and identify resources as necessary.
- Supervisor approval to accept the Staff Professional position.
How can I learn more?
If you want to learn more please contact Ziena Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773.325.7360.
How do I apply?
In order to apply, you’ll need to complete the following steps:
- Contact Ziena Miller at email@example.com or call 773.325.7360.
- Confirm supervisor approval for your participation.