Purpose: This committee organizes Critical Mixed Race Studies programming for DePaul University and beyond. This project enhances the University’s Vision 2018 mission of fostering diversity and inclusion and specifically the vision to leverage the “global diversity of Chicago, infuse international and comparative perspectives throughout the teaching, research and service missions of the university.
Critical Mixed Race Studies (CMRS) is the transracial, transdisciplinary, and transnational critical analysis of the institutionalization of social, cultural, and political orders based on dominant conceptions of race. CMRS emphasizes the mutability of race and the porosity of racial boundaries in order to critique processes of racialization and social stratification based on race. CMRS addresses local and global systemic injustices rooted in systems of racialization.
VdPP Project Coordinators: Laura Kina (ART)
- In Fall 2015 the committee established an ad hoc executive board and on March 15, 2016 we became an association with the help of our fiscal agent Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Chicago. As of May 30, 2016, we have 77 paid members (plus 2,000+ members on our mailing list from past events and 4,000+ followers on social media).
- The next Critical Mixed Race Studies conference will be held Feb 24-26, 2017 at the University of Southern California and is hosted by the Shiso Ito Center for Japanese Religions and Culture.
- After sending out the CFP in Fall 2015 for the theme of "Explorations in Trans (gender, gressions, migratons, racial) Fifty Years After Loving v. Virginia," the committee received a record number of submissions, including 165 panel submissions, by the April 30, 2016 deadline. Submissions are currently being reviewed by external programming committees and notifications will be sent by July 31, 2016.
- Both programming and site committees and volunteers are busy with the logistics for the 2017 conference and the 2018 conference venue of University of Maryland has been secured for March 1-4, 2018. We would like to return to DePaul in Feb or March 2019.
- We updated our website: http://criticalmixedracestudies.org/wordpress. In May 2016 we began compensating our social media coordinator, Sharon Chang, for her work.
- For DePaul’s Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity, Camilla Fojas and Laura Kina conducted a BUILD workshop on mixed race on April 14, 2016.