The receipt of a sponsor's grant document initiates a procedure in both ORS and Financial Affairs that establishes an internal account to charge salaries, benefits, direct expenses, and indirects to the newly established grant. Once that set-up process is completed, the Principal Investigator receives from ORS a NOTICE OF GRANT AWARD (NOGA).
The Principal Investigator may not assign staff to a grant or incur any other expenses until the NOGA has been received.
The notice of grant award will typically look like the following example:
Things to note about the ORS Grant Award:
- General: The Office of Research Services may be referred to by its previous name "Office of Sponsored Programs and Research".
- Distribution: The ORS Notice of Grant Award is an Internal DePaul University document. The sponsor does not receive a copy of the NOGA.
- Non-Sponsor Amount: This amount can be DePaul Cost Share (Fund 501), departmental cost share (Fund 100), third party cost share (not included in the NOGA Budget Page), or a combination of all three.
- Project Director: Only one individual can be included on a NOGA, though the PeopleSoft system can include several Co-PIs. Nevertheless, when distributing the NOGA, ORS will send a copy to each of the PI's listed in PeopleSoft.
- Award Begin / End Date: While these dates may reflect the entire span of the grant, the Sponsor Amount and the Budget Page will only quantify the current amount funded by the sponsor, which might only be one budget period of a multi-year grant. Additional funds will be added to the budget and Sponsor Amount when the subsequent funding documentation arrives at ORS. Updated NOGAs can then be issued upon request. See Budget Period Dates on the Budget Page to determine if the amounts reflect an annual breakdown or a comprehensive total.
- Abstract: The abstract is a summary of the project as entered into PeopleSoft during the proposal process. Errors on the abstract can be noted, but the abstract itself cannot be changed.
- Comments: Below the abstract are several items which may or may not appear on the NOGA providing additional information to the Principal Investigator. This information may relate to responsibilities in collecting third party cost share contributions, procurement restrictions, etc.