Information Services > Services > ID Cards & U-Pass > U-Pass FAQ

U-Pass FAQ

I missed the U-Pass distribution dates. How do I get my U-Pass?

You may visit the ID Services Offices on the same campus as your college office to pick up your U-Pass, up until the last day of the quarter to drop classes. There may be a pre-printed U-Pass for you in ID Services depending on when you registered. If the ID service office does not have a preprint for you then they will submit a request for a new U-pass for you.​

How will I be charged?

DePaul students who meet the eligibility requirements based on course registration will be charged a quarterly U-Pass Fee on their tuition account. Students are responsible for this fee regardless of benefit use or card pick-up.A CTA fee can be removed ONLY when a student’s eligibility has changed on or before the last day to drop courses. Any student meeting the requirements will be charged the fee automatically on their student tuition bill. This helps defray CTA’s costs for offering the program. If the U-Pass is not picked up, the U-Pass fee will remain on the student’s account.​

What do I need to pick-up my U-Pass?

Eligible students are responsible for picking up their U-Passes in person. All students MUST present a valid DePaul ID in order to receive a U-Pass. The U-Pass cannot be mailed to a student.​

I just registered for classes. Why doesn't my U-Pass work?

Unfortunately it is not possible to link DePaul's enrollment system to the Ventra system directly. This means it can take 3-10 business days for Ventra to process the change and activate your card.

Who should I contact with questions or concerns?

If you have questions or comments concerning your U-Pass, you may send an email to​​​

May I have my U-Pass mailed to me?

No, you must show a valid DePaul ID in person to obtain or request your U-Pass.​

If my U-Pass was active last quarter, do I need a new U-Pass for the upcoming quarter?

No, your new Ventra U-Pass is good until the expiration date listed on the back of your card. You do not need to pick up new U-Pass each quarter. Your U-Pass will be active during the quarter as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.​​

I went to DePaul for my undergraduate degree, now I am back for a masters degree. Do I get a new U-Pass?

If your previous U-Pass has not expired then you will have to use that U-Pass. If you have lost that U-Pass you will have to purchase a replacement U-Pass.​

My U-Pass stopped working all of a sudden. What do I do?

Check to see if you are eligible for a U-Pass, and remember that waitlist classes don't count towards eligibility. If you do meet the eligibility requirements and your U-Pass has stopped working, please contact​​

What if my U-Pass is lost, stolen or damaged?

Please visit the ID Services office on the same campus as your college office to report your U-Pass lost or stolen and to request a new U-Pass. Please bring your valid DePaul Student ID with you. There is a nonrefundable $50 replacement fee (to be paid via Demon Express).​

What if my U-Pass is defective?

Visit the ID Services office on the same campus as your college office to request a replacement. The CTA may need to verify the card is defective before a replacement request can be processed. For more information, please visit​

How often can I use my U-Pass per day?

Students can use the U-Pass as often as they want (the U-Pass cannot be used at the same station or on the same bus line for 10-15 minutes). The U-Pass allows you unlimited rides on the CTA, anytime, anywhere, any reason.​

Can I share my U-Pass?

The Ventra U-Pass card is limited to exclusive use by the full-time student whose name and photo appear on the card. Any Ventra U-Pass card presented by a person other than the student whose name and photo appears on it will be confiscated, and the person may be subject to arrest.​

I drive-does the U-Pass have any benefits for me?

The U-Pass gives you an opportunity to get out of your car and:

  • Save money - no parking, gas and car upkeep costs
  • Help save the environment - lower fuel emissions
  • Reduce frustration - avoid traffic congestion

Where can I call for directions?

Get travel information and directions by calling the RTA Travel Center at 836-7000 from any area code (TTY: 312-836-4949). Operators are available daily from 5 am - 1:00 am. They can also send you a CTA System Map, Downtown Sightseeing Guide or schedules. CTA Maps and Downtown Sightseeing Guides are also available at CTA train stations.​

What if I have a preferred name on file?

​If you choose to have a preferred name on file, your U-Pass will be printed with the preferred name, instead of your legal first name. If your U-Pass was printed before you put a preferred name on file, you will have to have a new U-Pass printed. It's important that your DePaul ID and your U-Pass have the same name on them. For more information on fees associated with name changes, please visit the ID Card Office.

Can I use My U-Pass on Pace and Metra?

​The unlimited rides pass on your U-Pass only covers CTA buses and trains. Students my add fare to their U-Passes to use Pace buses (normal fares apply). Currently there is no way to use your U-Pass for Metra trains.