*Cloud Storage Service Providers such as Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, AWS, Personal Box Account, Carbonite, etc.
DePaul Information Services has partnered with Box.com to provide unlimited cloud file storage and collaboration services for all DePaul students, as well as auxiliary file storage to the ‘U and W’ network drives for DePaul Employees. DePaul students may find student specific content and directions related to Box here.
Box provides services to DePaul that will help to:
- more easily share data (particularly large files) with students, other departments, and people outside DePaul;
- allow teams to collaboratively edit documents and track changes;
- address continued increases in enterprise network storage costs;
- access the Box collaboration and cloud storage from computers as well as their mobile devices, from anywhere, at any time.
What is Box?
Box is more than just a data storage service. Box is also a collaboration platform, allowing everyone the ability to:
- Co-author and simultaneously edit documents and spreadsheets with a team, with full version control
- Preview online documents without having to download them
- Share files and folders with anyone you need, without the need for IS support
- Set up teams to collaborate, assigning due dates and tasks to team members
- Share large files with anyone (even outside of DePaul) without using email attachments
- Backup files from your desktop automatically with Box Sync
What type of DePaul data can I store on box?
Access to and Responsible Use of Data Policy governs where and how DePaul data should be managed. For an overview of some examples of data and where they should be stored, see the sample list below. Additional guidance for any data not covered here can be found in the policy.
|Description ||Data Type** ||Box ||U/W ||Cloud Services* |
|Other bank or financial account numbers ||Highly Sensitive Data ||No ||No ||No |
|Credit/Debit Card Number ||Highly Sensitive Data ||No ||No ||No |
|Drivers license numbers and other government identification card numbers ||Highly Sensitive Data ||No ||Yes ||No |
|Passwords, pins and similar data that permit access to financial accounts or other personal data ||Highly Sensitive Data ||No ||No ||No |
|Social Security Number ||Highly Sensitive Data ||No ||Yes ||No |
|Class Information ||Internal Non-Restricted Data ||Yes ||Yes ||No |
|Employee names, telephone numbersand email addresses ||Internal Non-Restricted Data ||Yes ||Yes ||No |
|Employee job titles and dates of employment ||Internal Non-Restricted Data ||Yes ||Yes ||No |
|FERPA covered data ||Internal Restricted Data ||Yes ||Yes ||No |
|Student Financial Aid Data ||Internal Restricted Data ||No ||Yes ||No |
|HIPAA covered data ||Internal Restricted Data ||No ||Yes ||No |
|Employee pay rates or other confidential payroll data ||Internal Restricted Data ||Yes ||Yes ||No |
|Research data that does not contain subject identifiable data ||Internal Restricted Data ||Yes ||Yes ||No |
|Data posted on University bulletins and data on unrestricted University web sites ||Public ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
How do I get access to Box?
Box accounts are set up automatically for DePaul employees and students. Box is a very powerful platform, but it needs to be used responsibly in order to keep DePaul's data safe. At a minimum, review and follow the critical tips and best practices provided on the Getting Started page before you start using Box. To access your Box account, login with your Campus Connect account at the link here: Box Login