Information Services > Services > Email > Employee Email > Accessing Your Email >
Outlook on the Web
Outlook on the Web (formerly the Outlook Web App) provides all employees with an online method
for accessing their email when away from their office computers. It offers
many of the same functions as the Outlook desktop clients for Windows and
Mac OS X. It is compatible with most major browsers for Windows, Mac, and
Linux. Log into the DePaul Outlook on the Web at outlook.depaul.edu.
Changing Voicemail Pin
To change the PIN you use to access your voicemailbox from a phone:
- Click on the gear icon to access the Settings Menu and select Options.
- Navigate within the menu to General > Voicemail > Reset PIN.
- Click the Reset my voicemail PIN link and select Yes.
- You will receive your temporary PIN in email. You can then change your PIN the next time you call Outlook Voice Access.
- The Outlook on the Web Options Menu offers a wide variety of
choices to customize your email, calendar, and
- To access the menu, click on the gear icon to access the Settings Menu and select Options.
- Among the options in this menu you will find: email and
calendar appearance, inbox rules, auto replies, delivery/ read reports,
language, date format, time format, time zone, voicemail options, reset
voicemail PIN, mobile phone details & wipe device, accessibility settings,
and keyboard shortcut options.
- New Message: To create a new message, click the New button located over your inbox.
- Save a Draft: To save a draft of a message, whithout sending it, go to the menu above the message. Click the button with three dots. Select Save Draft. The message will remain in your drafts folder until you either send or delete it.
- Open a Message: To view a message within the reading pane of the same window, select the message. To open it in a new window, double click the message.
- Expand a Conversation: Click the small arrow next to the conversation to expand it. Select individual messages within the conversation to view them in the reading pane.
- Reply to a Message: When viewing a message in the reading pane, in the upper-righthand corner of the message you will see a Reply All button with a small down arrow next to it. To reply to the message sender and all recipients, click Reply All. To reply to only the message sender, click the down arrow and select Reply.
- Forward a Message: To forward a message to another sender, click the down arrow and select Forward.
- Delete a Message: To delete a message from your inbox, click the down arrow and select Delete.
- Play a Voicemail: To play a voicemail from your inbox, select the message containing the voicemail. To play it on your computer you must have computer speakers or headphones. Simply press the triangle play button. If you wish to play the voicemail on your phone, click Play voicemail on phone.... and then click Call. The system will dial your DePaul extension and when you answer the phone the message will be played automatically.
Outlook on the Web cannot access the email signatures that you have saved on the desktop app. This means that if you wish to use a signature when sending from the Web App, you will need to create a new signature here. This signature will be available anytime you use the Web App, regardless of which computer or mobile device you are using.
- Click the gear icon to access the Settings Menu. Select Options.
- Select Layout and then Email Signature.
- Add your signature in the editing box.
- Check the boxes to automatically include signature on new messages and/or replies.
- Click Save.
Out of Office Auto Replies
To set an Out of Office Auto Reply:
- Click on the gear icon to access the Settings Menu.
- Click Automatic Replies.
- Select Send automatic replies.
- To set a start and end date/time for the auto replies, check the box for Send auto replies only during this time period. Set start and end times.
- Type and format the message in the box below.
- Please note that the auto replies entered into this first text box will only be sent to other DePaul faculty and staff with @depual.edu email addresses. To send auto replies to individuals with outside email addresses, check the box below to Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization. In the textbox that appears below, enter type and format the message you would like to send out senders with outside email address, or cut/paste your auto reply message from above.
Click OK to save your changes.
Open a Resource Account Inbox
Click on the round profile picture at the top right-hand
corner of the screen, and select Open
another mailbox… . Type the username
of the account you wish to open. Click Search
Directory. The full name and email
address of the account should appear.
Click Open. Note: To open another account, the owner of
that account must assign you delegate rights.
- View Your Calendar: Go to the Navigation Menu, and select Calendar.
- Schedule an Appointment: Click the New button. Add the details of the appointment, including the title, location, date and time. Click Save.
- Schedule a Meeting with Others: Open an existing appointment or create a new appointment (see above.) You will add people invited to the meeting in the column titled People. Use the Add People text box to type an email address, search the DePaul Address Book, or search your own contacts. Click Save.
- Make an Appointment Private: You have the option of hiding details of certain calender appointments from those with whom you share your calendar. When editing the details of your appointment, click the box labeled Private. To others viewing your calendar, the appointment will still be visible on your calendar, but the title will be labeled "Private." All other details, besides the date and time, will be hidden.
- View a Specific Date: Directly above your calendar is written out the date or dates currently being displayed. Use the left, right, and down buttons to navigate to another date. To jump back to today's date, use the Today button in the upper right of your calendar, just to the right of the "Day, Work Week, Week, Month" menu.
- View Calendar by Day, Week, or Month: To the top right of your calendar it says Day Work Week Week Month. Use these buttons to change your calendar's view.
DePaul Directory (Global Address Book)
People: You can search for a DePaul employee or resource
account in the DePaul Directory from the People page of Outlook on the Web.
- Go to the Navigation Menu and select People.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, select Directory.
- Above that you will find the Search People text box, marked
with a magnifying glass icon. Use this
box to search the directory by first name, last name, or username.
- Matching directory entries will be displayed. Select the correct entry, and their directory
information will be displayed to the right.
Email: You can also
search the DePaul Directory directly from the To field, when drafting an email.
- When drafting and email, click To. (Alternatively, you can
click Cc to add someone to the Carbon Copy field.)
- Using the Search People text box, type a first name, last
name, or username. Click the magnifying glass
- Matching directory entries will be displayed. Click the plus(+) sign next to their name to
add them to the To field.
- You may continue searching and adding entries to the To
field as many times as needed. When you
are done, click Save.
- Open Your Contacts: Go to the Navigation Menu and select People. Click on Your Contacts and Directory in the lefthand column to switch between the contacts you have saved and the DePaul Directory.
- Find a Contact: Use the blue search bar in the lefthand column titled Search People to find a contact. Click Enter or the magnifying glass to search. You will be given the option to restrict your search to your contacts, the directory, or both.
- Send a Message to a Contact from People: Once you have located a contact in the address book, click on their name to view their contact card to the right. If you click on their email address, a new email window will pop-up with their address in the To field.
- Send a Message to a Contact from E-Mail: You can also send a message to a saved contact without coming to People. When drafting and email, click To. (Alternatively, you can click Cc to add someone to the Carbon Copy field.) Using the Search People text box, type a first name, last name, or username. Click the magnifying glass to search. Matching Contacts will be displayed. Click the plus(+) sign next to their name to add them to the To field. You may continue searching and adding entries to the To field as many times as needed. When you are done, click Save.
- Create a New Contact: From within People, click New. Enter the contact's information, and click Save.
Because Outlook on the Web is run in your web browser, you can use your web browser's features that improve
the readability of pages. Most browsers
offer features like zoom, customizable font sizes and colors, a
high contrast mode, and compatibility with screen readers. For information
about the accessibility features that are provided by your web browser, look
for information in the Help menu of your browser.
Screen Readers & Keyboard Shortcuts
Outlook on the Web works in a browser, and lets you
get your email whenever you are online. Keyboard shortcuts and navigation for
the online experience are different from Outlook 2016 desktop. If you use a
screen reader, this
article can help, as well as these most commonly used Keyboard Shortcuts for Outlook on the Web.
Alternatively, you can decide to use the Light version of Outlook on the Web. It has an HTML interface that some people prefer to use with a
screen reader. For more
information about the Light version of Outlook, see the next
section titled Outlook Light.
Outlook on the Web Light Version
The light version of Outlook on the Web is much simpler
than the standard version. Because the
light version of Outlook is HTML-based, it can work better with
assistive technologies such as screen readers.
The light version also works with older web browsers that aren’t
compatible with the standard version of Outlook on the Web. For more information about the Light version of Outlook on the Web, see Outlook Web App Light on Microsoft's website.
To switch to the Outlok Web App Light:
Log into outlook.depaul.edu.
Go to Settings > Options > General > Light Version.
Check the Use the light version of Outlook box.
Sign out of the Outlook, close your browser, and sign in
again using a supported browser. You may need to close all open browser
windows before you can sign in again.