DePaul University Information Services > Services > E-mail >
Windows Phone Encryption
Windows Phone 10
- Bring up All Apps and open Settings
- Tap on System
- Tap on Device Encryption
- Slide the switch to On
- If your device does not have a PIN already set you will automatically be redirected to set one up. Tap on Add under PIN
Windows Phone 8.1
Devices running Windows Phone 8.1 have no settings to enable device encryption. Once the device recognizes that encryption is required, the device will begin the encryption process automatically. To verify that your device has been encrypted, go to Settings > Storage Sense, and you will see your device's storage, which will show "encrypted" if completed.
Changing the Device Password
Password complexity requirements will force Passwords to be reset if they do not meet minimum security settings. The requirements are as follows:
- Passwords must be a minimum of 4 characters.
- Passwords cannot be the same character repeated (ie. '1111' or '2222')
- Passwords cannot contain sequential patterns (ie. '1234' or '6789')
To reset Passwords that do not meet these requirements, follow these steps:
- Go to 'Settings'
- Go to 'Lock Screen'
- Choose 'Change Password'
- Enter your current password
- Enter and confirm your new password.