Microsoft has announced the end of extended support for Windows 7. As a result, after January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer release security patches for Windows 7; all DePaul-owned computers MUST BE upgraded before this date. Computers still running Windows 7 after this date will not be allowed on the DePaul network.
To prepare for this, Information Services offers DePaul users the ability to upgrade their Windows 7 computers to Microsoft’s latest operating system, Windows 10. New computers will have Windows 10 installed by default.
What are the requirements to perform the upgrade?
- A Windows 10-compatible device
- A “wired” (Ethernet) connection to the DePaul network
- Uninstallation of the DePaul VPN client and any Office Click-to-run applications, if applicable
What are the benefits of upgrading to Windows 10?
Windows 10 offers several improvements over Windows 7, some of which are listed below. Most importantly, only Windows 10 will receive Microsoft's latest content releases. As of January 13th, 2015, Windows 7 only receives security updates, which do not include new features.
DePaul's Windows 10 experience also includes Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, which provides the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other Office applications.
Will my data be preserved during the upgrade process?
The Upgrade Wizard's design incorporates methods for retaining data stored on your computer's hard drive. You do not need to take any action for data presently stored on the University's U: drive or Box.
Will my applications change during the upgrade process?
Most modern applications are compatible with Windows 10. You can find more information on specific applications by searching for them on Microsoft's compatibility website. Certain applications, like Office, will be updated during the upgrade. If you have the DePaul VPN client installed, it will need to be uninstalled before the upgrade and installed again after the upgrade is complete.
Will my Office add-ins be preserved during the upgrade process?
Office add-ins will need to be reinstalled after the upgrade process.
Will all my current applications and devices (e.g. webcam) work on Windows 10?
Current Windows 7-compatible software and devices may not have support for Windows 10. Completing a pre-upgrade compatibility assessment is vital to a seamless upgrade process. Please visit the Windows 10 requirements webpage, in conjunction with the support pages for software and devices you use, to determine whether any compatibility issues exist with your current computing environment.
Which devices are compatible with Windows 10?
If you are unsure of your model, please contact the TSC
How do I upgrade?
- If you device passes all the prerequite checks, a popup should alert you that the upgrade is available.
- If possible select "Upgrade now" to run the upgrade immediately.
- If you would prefer to schedule the upgrade you can use the "Schedule" button to perform the upgrade at a time more convenient for you.
- After the upgrade process completes, you will receive either a "success" or "failure" message upon your next login to the computer. Should you receive the latter, please contact the TSC for assistance.