The Remote Desktop feature available in Window desktops allows you to remotely control your office computer while you are at home or traveling. This application offers tremendous flexibility by providing access to your office resources, data and applications when you are off campus. However, using this application does present additional risk to your computer, institutional data and university resources.Since Remote Desktop does present additional risks for you and the university, it is important to follow all the steps in this document. These steps will offer additional protection to prevent unauthorized access to your computer.
*This configuration only can be performed by an Administrator of the computer.
Configuring Remote Desktop on Windows 7
1. Start _ Control Panel _ System
2. Click Remote settings – if there is a User Account Control pop-up warning, “Do you want to allow the following"
3. Verify “Allow connections from computers running any version of
4. When it is checked, a Remote Desktop window will appear as follows:
Note: You can’t connect to a computer that's asleep or hibernating, so make sure the settings for sleep and hibernation on the remote computer are set to never. (Hibernation isn't available on all computers.) Then click “Power Options”.
5. In a new window, please verify that “Balanced (recommended)” plan is checked and click “Change plan settings”.
6. Click drop-down choice in “Put the computer to sleep:”, choose “Never” and press “Save changes” button.
7. Close Power Options window.
8. On Remote Desktop window, click “OK” button.
9. Click “Select Users…” on System Properties window.
10. On the Remote Desktop Users window, select “Add”
11. A new window titled “Select Users or Groups” will be displayed
12. Look for the field named “Enter the object names to select”
13. In the empty box, type in the following:
a. dpu\ and your Campus Connect username
b. Example: dpu\testuser
14. Press the button “Check Names”, your user name should appear as shown below
15. Press “OK”. Note: Your name will appear in Remote Desktop Users window. Press “OK” on that window and on System Properties window.
Close Control Panel System window.