Steps to Retire
This section provides detailed information about the steps to retire. This page includes step-by-step instructions for both staff employees and faculty.
Take these steps before you retire:
- Notify your department and the HR Benefits Department within 8-10 weeks of anticipated retirement date.
- The Benefits Department notifies Payroll of retirement.
- You will receive a retirement letter from the Benefits Department outlining your benefit options.
- Review the letter and complete the section indicating the level of retiree medical coverage desired and whether you wish to maintain your university email account.
- Return the completed and signed benefit election portion of the letter to the Benefits Team.
- After retirement, pay medical premium upon receipt of medical coupon from Retiree Medical vendor.
- Separate COBRA and benefits conversion information will be sent to your home address.
- Review COBRA and life insurance options, complete any necessary forms, and return to vendors where appropriate.
- Contact TIAA‐CREF at tiaa.org or (800) 842‐2776 and/or Fidelity at fidelity.com/atwork or (800) 343‐0860 regarding your 403(b) account.
- Contact a local Social Security Office to arrange Social Security Retirement Income. To find booklets online or locate the nearest office, visit ssa.gov.
- If age 65 or older, or will soon reach age 65, contact Medicare at (800) MEDICARE to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B (also necessary for a spouse age 65 or older). This should be done within 3 months prior to retiring (or turning 65 if retiring prior to age 65).