Department of Housing > Resident Resources > Move-In >
What to Know Before Moving In
Connecting with Roommates
You can find your roommate listed in Housing Connection at myhousing.depaul.edu. If your assigned roommate chooses not to attend DePaul, another will be assigned to the vacant space. Have an open mind when speaking with your new roommate and recognize that this is new territory for all. Roommates cannot be changed prior to move-in day.
When bringing your belongings, be sure you don't have duplicates of the below items as only a single of each is allowed per unit.
- Mini-fridge – must be 4.8 cubic feet or less
- Microwave – must be 900 watts or less
Suggested Packing List
This list is not exhaustative but includes items typically overlooked when packing. Various residence halls have different amenities, so be sure to pack accordingly.
- Pillow, blankets, mattress pad/encasement. Beds are twin XL except in McCabe and Centennial halls and University Center studios.
- Clothes hangers
- Earplugs/eye mask
- Towels and washcloths
- Shower caddy
- Dishes, cutlery and kitchen storage containers
- Cleaning supplies
- Laundry detergent (high-efficiency liquid or detergent pods preferred over powdered detergent)
- First aid kit
- Desk lamp (preferably with LED or CFL bulb)
If you're living in a traditional residence hall, you will need to decide if you want to rent a micro-fridge from MyCollegeFridge, the approved DePaul vendor. All micro-fridge orders must be completed by August 9 in order to be placed in your unit prior to move-in day.
- Confirm with all of your roommates before renting; each unit is only allowed one micro-fridge.
- Rental items will be delivered to your room prior to move-in day (if ordered by the deadline).
Student Mail Center
The Student Mail Center is responsible for issuing your mailbox key and provides you with a centralized location to receive all of your packages. Items cannot be shipped to your campus address prior to move-in day.
To see how to format your campus address once you've arrived, visit the mail center page
Student ID Card
Your DePaul ID Card serves as your official identification at DePaul University, and you are required to have it at all times while on campus and specifically to enter your residence hall. Most new students will receive their DePaul ID Card during orientation. If you did not receive one during orientation, please visit an ID Services location and present valid identification (driver's license, state ID, passport or visa).
Certain items are prohibited in all Lincoln Park campus housing. See the full prohibited items list to learn more. If any of the listed items are found in campus housing, they will be confiscated by staff.
- You are not allowed to bring your own mattress, bed or loft as university furniture must meet fire safety standards.
- You are allowed to bring your own shower curtain, but you must hang it in conjunction with the university-provided curtains, as those are custom-fit and prevent water leaks.
Student Email Address
All official Department of Housing communication prior to move-in day is sent to the email address listed in Campus Connect. Please ensure this email address is updated.