This information is also listed in the Lincoln Park Move-In Guide (updated for web) or University Center Move-In Guide mailed home with your housing assignment. For details about 2019 move-in day procedures, see the move-in day subpages for your correct campus.
Connecting with Roommates
You can find your roommate or roommates listed in the Housing Portal at myhousing.depaul.edu. If your assigned roommate chooses not to come to DePaul, another will be assigned to the vacant space. We encourage you to check the portal periodically during the summer in case of updates.
Have an open mind when speaking with your roommates and recognize that this is new territory for all. Roommates cannot be changed prior to move-in day.
When you talk to your roommate(s), discuss how you'll decorate your unit. Be sure you don't have duplicates of these items, as only one of each is allowed per unit.
- Mini-fridge – must be 4.8 cubic feet or less (not allowed in apartments)
- Microwave – must be 900 watts or less
Suggested Packing List
This list is not exhaustative but includes items typically overlooked when packing. Various residence halls have different amenities, so be sure to pack accordingly.
- Pillow, blankets, mattress pad/encasement; beds are twin XL except in McCabe and Centennial halls and University Center studios and private room suites
- Clothes hangers
- Earplugs/eye mask
- Towels and washcloths
- Shower caddy and toiletries
- Desk lamp (preferably with LED or CFL bulb)
- Dishes, cutlery and kitchen storage containers
- Cleaning supplies
- Laundry detergent (high-efficiency liquid or detergent pods preferred over powdered detergent)
- First aid kit
- Small vacuum cleaner
See the Lincoln Park Packing List
and University Center Packing List
for more details.
If you're living in a traditional hall in Lincoln Park, you may choose to rent a micro-fridge from MyCollegeFridge.com, the approved DePaul vendor. All orders must be completed by August 15 to be placed in your unit before move-in.
- The rental appliance is a refrigerator, true freezer and microwave all-in-one. See the vendor brochure for details.
- Confirm with all of your roommates before renting; each unit is only allowed one micro-fridge.
- Rental items will be delivered to your room prior to move-in day (if ordered by the deadline).
Lincoln Park Residents
The Student Mail Center, located in Suite 317 of the Student Center, is responsible for issuing your mailbox key and provides you with a centralized location to receive all of your packages. Items cannot be shipped to your campus address prior to move-in day. To see how to format your campus address once you've arrived, visit the mail center page.
University Center Residents
The University Center Mail Room is located on the second floor, directly across from the business office. Due to limited space and resources, if you are shipping boxes or trunks, you should arrange for your packages to be delivered no sooner than 48 hours prior to your scheduled move-in date. Residents share a mailbox with their roommates and can obtain the combination from the mailroom. All mail must be addressed as follows:
525 S. State St.
Chicago, IL 60605
Student ID Card
Your DePaul ID Card serves as your official identification at DePaul University, and you are required to have it at all times while on campus and specifically to enter your Lincoln Park residence hall. Most new students will receive their DePaul ID Card during orientation. If you did not receive one during orientation, please visit an ID Services location and present valid identification (driver's license, state ID, passport or visa).
University Center residents, you will also have a University Center ID that is separate from your DePaul ID Card and is used only at the University Center. You will need this card to enter the building, enter your unit and use your meal plan. If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, you will be charged a $50 replacement fee.
Certain items are prohibited in all Lincoln Park campus housing. See the full prohibited items list to learn more. Prohibited items found in campus housing will be confiscated by staff.
- You are not allowed to bring your own mattress, bed or loft as university furniture must meet fire safety standards.
- You are allowed to bring your own shower curtain, but you must hang it in conjunction with the university-provided curtains, as those are custom-fit and prevent water leaks.
For a full list of items restricted and prohibited at the University Center, DePaul's Loop Campus housing, see the University Center Resident Handbook.
Student Email Address
All official Department of Housing communication prior to move-in day is sent to the email address listed in Campus Connect. Please ensure this email address is updated.