Department of Housing > About > FAQ


When can I apply for housing?

Housing is assigned on a rolling basis throughout the academic year, as it becomes available. Contact our office about space for spring 2019.

New first-year and transfer students starting in fall 2019 are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as they are accepted to DePaul and confident they will be attending. Visit the Apply for Housing tab for details.

If you are a current student looking to return to housing for the 2019-20 academic year, that happens through a process called Room Selection. Applications are done online March 1-April 1, and in-person appointments happen in late April. Learn more here.

I already applied for housing. Can I still change my preferences?

For incoming students, you can change your preferences (building, room type and roommate request) as many times as you would like up until June 1 and you will not get penalized for doing so, as we will make assignments based on the original agreement submission date. Preferences are not accepted after June 1. Once you move into your unit, you may request a room/building/campus change after the third week of classes. Read more about room change requests here​.

I am part of an international program. How do I obtain housing?

We have a variety of programs for international students. Please email the assistant director of assignments and he will provide you the most accurate information for your situation.​

When are assignments (room, building and roommate) sent out?

On-campus housing is usually assigned for the upcoming fall quarter by late June. Students who are confirmed for an unit on campus receive assignment letters in the mail approximately by early July.

For rooms with multiple beds, the decision of which student gets which bed is a discussion that needs to be had amongst all roommates and must be mutually agreed upon. For apartment-style units, Housing assigns students individual bedrooms within the apartment. ​

What if I need a housing or meal plan accommodation?

Special housing accommodations will only be honored, depending on availability, based on recommendations from the Center for Students with Disabilities. Students are encouraged to contact the Center for Students with Disabilities​ upon submission of their housing agreement. Meal plans are required for all students living in Lincoln Park campus housing and for students living in suite-style units at the University Center. Meal plan requirements do not permit release based on religious dictates, personal food choice, lifestyle or preferences (e.g., vegetarian, vegan), or other non-medically-based dietary requests. Students wishing to request a meal plan accommodation may do so by contacting

What if I have questions about my meal plan?

Learn more about meal plans, including types, rates and requirements, on our meal plan FAQ page​.​​​​​

Is parking available on the Lincoln Park Campus?

For parking options and pricing, please visit the Parking Services website​.