research grants are intended to encourage the continued growth and development
of DePaul faculty in the belief that the vitality of faculty is essential to
the University's ability to serve students and the overall community. Competitive Research Grants provide up to $3500.
faculty development grants is limited to full-time tenured and tenure-track
faculty. Faculty may apply for one Competitive Research grant academic year. In
awarding grants, the council takes into account three priorities: demands on
strategic plans and initiatives, applicant's record of completing projects, and
how the project sustains the university. Faculty cannot receive Competitive
Research Grants for the same project after two consecutive years unless they
submit evidence of consultation with the Office of Research Services (x2-7388)
for external funds. The council expects projects to be completed in a timely
manner and will not fund projects beyond three years. Grant recipients who have
overspent their grants will not be eligible until the overage is resolved.
Applications will be accepted in the Fall and Winter with deadlines of October 15th and March 15th, respectively.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit the following through Campus Connect (click on "Grant Proposals" in the "Faculty Center" section) by the appropriate deadline:
Abstract - the abstract should describe the project clearly and completely in non-technical terms
The narrative should describe the project in clear, non-technical language. The
narrative should also present a compelling argument in favor of the project
which will include a clear description of the project's goals and objectives.
Further, the narrative should explain the relationship between the project and
the applicant's teaching, research, and/or service interests.
Work Plan & Timeline - the work plan and timeline should be thorough, realistic, and feasible. Further, the specific outcomes for the project should be articulated.
Budget Narrative - the budget narrative should clearly justify all requested expenses and provide sources for estimated costs. Wages for requested personnel should account for fringe benefits at a rate of 10%.
Budget Form - the budget form should account for each item of expense discussed in the budget
Expectations and Requirements of Recipients
Grant recipients should keep the following in mind:
- Grant funds are made available to the faculty member upon completion of budget manager training.
- All spending must comply with the Council's guidelines regarding eligible and ineligible expenses.
- Funding is for 18 months after the grant is approved.
- The council expects projects to be completed in a timely manner and will not fund projects beyond three years.
- A final report must be submitted within 30 days of the grant's expiration. Failure to submit the final report will result in the faculty member being ineligible for future funding from the councils. This report should delineate the activities conducted during the grant, and describe the achievement of the project outcomes as outlined in the proposal.